Wake by Lisa McMann | Teen Ink

Wake by Lisa McMann

By thalia847 GOLD, Tempe, Arizona
thalia847 GOLD, Tempe, Arizona

"Be Who you are and say what you feel because those you mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

At age 8, Janie Hannagan does not know what is happening to her. All she sees is a man, balding, standing in the middle of a conference room in only his underwear. All his co-workers are laughing and pointing at him, and he's in shame.

All of a sudden she is snapped back to reality with her drunken mother still by her side, and totally confused. When she gets off the train she see the same strange bald man that was in her dream.

This is the beginning of the biggest and longest struggle of her life. She soon realizes that it is not her dreams that she is dreaming; she is being sucked into random peoples' dreams. She is not only seeing what is happening, but even more she's a part of that dream.

In every single dream, the dreamer is asking for Janie's help, but what can she do? She tries to scream, talk and help them, but she can't. All she can do is be forced to watch the dreadful events unfold before her eyes.

Cabel Strumheller is a boy that seems to be a druggy and is always missing the bus. So when Janie gets a car, she starts giving him a rides when he misses the bus. But once Janie is in her senior year, Cabel changes his whole image.

Janie and Cabel have study hall together that year. Cabel is always falling asleep in study hall and of course, Janie is always getting sucked into his dreams. When Janie sees him turn into a monster with knives as fingers and attack an old man, she doesn't know what to do.

On the other hand she still gets pulled closer to Cabel. She might even be falling love with him, but she does not know what to do. Should she confront him? Or just ignore the horrible nightmares?

Lisa McMann's novel Wake is very addicting. It pulled me into the book after reading the first chapter. I could not stop turning the pages. I couldn't help but wonder what would happen next and what would happen to Janie at the end.

McMann is an incredible writer and can really suck a reader into a book. You can tell that she put a lot of hard work into her books. McMann really captures the teenager in her and brings it out in the book.

Now I cannot wait for the next book of the series called Fade to come out. Fade comes out in Feb. 09, and I know I'm going to be one of those people waiting in line to buy it the day it comes out.