All-American Girl by Meg Cabot | Teen Ink

All-American Girl by Meg Cabot MAG

By Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Being a hero is hard work, especially when nothing is going your way. That’s exactly why Samantha Madison is in deep trouble. An intriguing and thrilling chick-lit novel, All-American Girl is great to cuddle up with on the couch. It’s about a coy young girl who in the blink of an eye gathers up enough courage to save the president; this is an adventure worth taking.

I love this book because I can really relate to the main character, Samantha. She is just an average teen who isn’t popular like her older sister or as smart as her little sister. She adores Gwen Stefani and is an adept artist. Author Meg Cabot turns Samantha’s life into an appealing adventure.

I also love this book because of the intriguing beginning: “She says she didn’t mean to. She says she found them in my room, and they were so good she couldn’t help showing them to Mom.” This spellbinding opening made me want to keep reading. I love the lists Samantha makes before each chapter on a broad range of topics. Her top-ten lists focus on things like why she hates her sister and reasons she wishes she was Gwen Stefani. In my opinion, these lists are the best part of the book.

This breathtaking book won numerous awards, including the New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age Award and the Book Sense Pick Award. The idea for this book came to Cabot when she visited Washington, D.C. She began wondering what it would be like to grow up in a town where so many important people like the president lived, and so she began to write a story about it. Published in 2002, All-American Girl is just one of the many must-reads by Cabot.

All-American Girl has an important theme: heroes and celebrities are average people who lead normal lives. To get to know Samantha better and find out how she balances her wacky life, pick up a copy of this book and become a part of the adventure.

Izzzy BRONZE said...
Izzzy BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

Take nothing but pictures.
Leave nothing but footprints.
Kill nothing but time.

- Motto of the Baltimore Grotto, a caving society

Great story! You gave exaples on how you like it, so next time maybe you should add some info about the book. :)

AniJulia said...
AniJulia, Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Other

You make the bed that you lay on.

I've seen this book and it sounded interresting. I'll read it now!

Lexi-pex GOLD said...
Lexi-pex GOLD, Billingham, Other

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

love the book! well written!

bokworm SILVER said...
bokworm SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

life is gets easier by what you do not by what you don't

any lover of meg cabot has to read ally carters gallager girls

S-Chique00 GOLD, Dundalk, Other

Rocky Balboa: You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

Although I couldn't really get into the Princess Diaries after numerous attempts, I fell in love with these witty and intruiging novels.

on Mar. 23 2010 at 1:10 am
creativityrules BRONZE, Lucknow, Other
wow...good job!!! i love meg Cabot, everything of her's including princess diaries, jinx, mediator series, ransom my heart and runway and Tommy Sullivan is a freak!!!!!!!!!!!!! love her!!!!

cantfindascreename BRONZE, Chino Hills, California

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in service to others"

Next time you do a review, you might want to explain why everyone else should love it and that the character is easily relatable not that it relates to you personally. thats just a tip ive been taught in my experience but awesome awesome job! i love tihs book too(:

AspiringAuthorAnonymous BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania

"I cannot live without books" - Thomas Jefferson

I love Meg Cabot I think I will have to read this one.............

eye4beauty BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

"That sounds like a personal problem."
~Abby

I think you did an amazing job with pulling the reader into the beggining with the way you worded your words (that sounds weird :) ) You gave your opinions but stated why you have those opinions and you bring the author into it. Everything I think a good review should have :)

Good job

twilight_teen14 GOLD, Moline, Illinois

"And then we continued blissfully into this small, but perfect piece of our forever...." -Bella Cullen- Breaking Dawn.
"Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant. But it's very important that you do it."
“Everyone’s stars, don’t get your hopes up, learn the ropes and climb the ladder and know in the end, that just being here is the best and it only gets better.”

Meg Cabot is an amazing author. <i> All American Girl</i> was very well done.

Garnet BRONZE said...
Garnet BRONZE, Frederick, Maryland

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight."

All-American Girl and its sequel were two of the best books I've ever read. Meg Cabot really knows how to breathe life into her characters, which makes them so relatable! Extremely well-written review, I enjoyed reading it!

on Nov. 20 2009 at 4:44 am
FeedTheBirds SILVER, San Diego, California
Nice review choice. This book and its sequel still crack me up. I love Cabot's voice and characters. It's admirable that she also addresses Samantha's coming of age issues.

I recommend SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson to any of you that enjoyed this book!

sam93 said...
i sooo agree her books are great and the all-american series was a good read

on Oct. 7 2009 at 12:24 am
grnlver114 PLATINUM, Seal Beach, California
I totally love this book and its sequel. Meg Cabot is one of my fave writers!

on Jul. 21 2009 at 12:54 am
unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

I loved this book (Meg Cabot is MY IDOL! I LOVE HER!) and awesome review. Nicely written. I agree with Wishing, read the Mediator series (also by her) if you liked this. Those are my favorites by her.

Oce*♥♫★, Canterbury, Other
i like this book and your review is very good. i love all meg cabot's books she is my faveret auther.

ScribbleScribe BRONZE, Sewell, New Jersey
I laughed so hard when I read that book. You should try the Mediator Series also by Meg Cabot. They're really good!

on Jun. 25 2009 at 4:22 am
GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

wow looks like a interesting book just from the review, great job!!

myfriendfreckle SILVER, Rochester, Massachusetts

"I feel like a hamburger today. Ever just feel like a hamburger?"

I loved this book. Meg Cabot is an amazing author. Nice review of the book.

Eve king said...
on Jun. 12 2009 at 11:18 am
maybe i shoud read this novel.