All-American Girl by Meg Cabot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Being a hero is hard work, especially when nothing is going your way. That’s exactly why Samantha Madison is in deep trouble. An intriguing and thrilling chick-lit novel, All-American Girl is great to cuddle up with on the couch. It’s about a coy young girl who in the blink of an eye gathers up enough courage to save the president; this is an adventure worth taking.

I love this book because I can really relate to the main character, Samantha. She is just an average teen who isn’t popular like her older sister or as smart as her little sister. She adores Gwen Stefani and is an adept artist. Author Meg Cabot turns Samantha’s life into an appealing adventure.

I also love this book because of the intriguing beginning: “She says she didn’t mean to. She says she found them in my room, and they were so good she couldn’t help showing them to Mom.” This spellbinding opening made me want to keep reading. I love the lists Samantha makes before each chapter on a broad range of topics. Her top-ten lists focus on things like why she hates her sister and reasons she wishes she was Gwen Stefani. In my opinion, these lists are the best part of the book.

This breathtaking book won numerous awards, including the New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age Award and the Book Sense Pick Award. The idea for this book came to Cabot when she visited Washington, D.C. She began wondering what it would be like to grow up in a town where so many important people like the president lived, and so she began to write a story about it. Published in 2002, All-American Girl is just one of the many must-reads by Cabot.

All-American Girl has an important theme: heroes and celebrities are average people who lead normal lives. To get to know Samantha better and find out how she balances her wacky life, pick up a copy of this book and become a part of the adventure.

Avatar2010 said...
I think you did an amazing job with pulling the reader into the beggining with the way you worded your words (that sounds weird :) ) You gave your opinions but stated why you have those opinions and you bring the author into it. Everything I think a good review should have :)
Good job

Writer2B3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 7:35 pm :
Thank you! =]

twilight_teen14 said...
Meg Cabot is an amazing author. <i> All American Girl</i> was very well done.

KaplunkyMonkey said...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:44 am:
Nice review choice. This book and its sequel still crack me up. I love Cabot's voice and characters. It's admirable that she also addresses Samantha's coming of age issues.
I recommend SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson to any of you that enjoyed this book!

Jul. 21, 2010 at 7:38 pm :
I agree this is a great series. Thank you for the recommendation, I'll look in to it! =]

grnlver114 said...
Oct. 7, 2009 at 12:24 am:
I totally love this book and its sequel. Meg Cabot is one of my fave writers!

sam93 replied...
Oct. 8, 2009 at 9:50 pm :
i sooo agree her books are great and the all-american series was a good read

Jul. 21, 2010 at 7:36 pm :
Most definitely! Meg Cabot is a wonderful author and this series was great! =] 

unearthlyhaphazard said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:54 am:
I loved this book (Meg Cabot is MY IDOL! I LOVE HER!) and awesome review. Nicely written. I agree with Wishing, read the Mediator series (also by her) if you liked this. Those are my favorites by her.

Jul. 21, 2010 at 7:39 pm :
Thank you! =]

oceanaL said...
Jul. 14, 2009 at 6:29 pm:
i like this book and your review is very good. i love all meg cabot's books she is my faveret auther.

Wishing said...
Jun. 28, 2009 at 8:07 pm:
I laughed so hard when I read that book. You should try the Mediator Series also by Meg Cabot. They're really good!

Valkyrie_123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 25, 2009 at 4:22 am:
wow looks like a interesting book just from the review, great job!!

Katie R. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm:
I loved this book. Meg Cabot is an amazing author. Nice review of the book.

Eve king said...
Jun. 12, 2009 at 11:18 am:
maybe i shoud read this novel.

okie-dokie said...
May 30, 2009 at 3:31 am:
I am so inlove with this book. It's an amazing story!!!!

LadyJamie888 said...
May 18, 2009 at 6:13 pm:
I freaking love this book! I relate to Samantha in every way except for the fact that she's a redhead and that her older sister's a cheerleader, not on the yearbook club, and that her little sister is a genius. It was an awesome book.

camille_1441 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 14, 2009 at 5:59 pm:
I adore Meg Cabot I read this book about 6 times I'm actually working on reading it again now haha

Sydney S. said...
May 5, 2009 at 9:10 pm:
I loved this book. Congrats on getting in the magazine, by the way.

toast llama said...
it was great read it 5 times

Lazy_Lizzy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 10, 2009 at 1:38 am:
I really hated the book, but you wrote an amazing review!