All-American Girl by Meg Cabot | Teen Ink

All-American Girl by Meg Cabot MAG

By Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Being a hero is hard work, especially when nothing is going your way. That’s exactly why Samantha Madison is in deep trouble. An intriguing and thrilling chick-lit novel, All-American Girl is great to cuddle up with on the couch. It’s about a coy young girl who in the blink of an eye gathers up enough courage to save the president; this is an adventure worth taking.

I love this book because I can really relate to the main character, Samantha. She is just an average teen who isn’t popular like her older sister or as smart as her little sister. She adores Gwen Stefani and is an adept artist. Author Meg Cabot turns Samantha’s life into an appealing adventure.

I also love this book because of the intriguing beginning: “She says she didn’t mean to. She says she found them in my room, and they were so good she couldn’t help showing them to Mom.” This spellbinding opening made me want to keep reading. I love the lists Samantha makes before each chapter on a broad range of topics. Her top-ten lists focus on things like why she hates her sister and reasons she wishes she was Gwen Stefani. In my opinion, these lists are the best part of the book.

This breathtaking book won numerous awards, including the New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age Award and the Book Sense Pick Award. The idea for this book came to Cabot when she visited Washington, D.C. She began wondering what it would be like to grow up in a town where so many important people like the president lived, and so she began to write a story about it. Published in 2002, All-American Girl is just one of the many must-reads by Cabot.

All-American Girl has an important theme: heroes and celebrities are average people who lead normal lives. To get to know Samantha better and find out how she balances her wacky life, pick up a copy of this book and become a part of the adventure.

AnoushehArif BRONZE, Lahore, Other

"Do you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?"

After reading this review, I'm tempted to read this book now!

EllyApolloRose GOLD, Washington, Pennsylvania

"When you’re alone, you can make any choice you want. But when someone loves you, you lose that right."
-Alice Paul in Iron Jawed Angels

I loved this book! I think Meg Cabot is a really good author, even her princess diaries series (thanks disney, for the awful movie that didn't go by the book AT ALL) was awsome! I think this would make a really good movie, but I don't know how it could be pulled off. My favorite part of the book was that Samantha was an artist. Has anyone read the sequal to this book "Ready or Not?"

DVSTweak101 BRONZE, Sanford, Florida
God, how I adored this book. It was simply something I found in my local bookstore that seemed interesting when nothing else did. I had no idea it would be so astounding and spontaneous. I am not afraid to admit I had tears in my eyes the farther I got into it. 

on Nov. 9 2010 at 11:22 am
You had wounderful word choice, but i didn't really understand what the book was about. Next time, you could use more details

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Thank you. I agree, this is a wonderful book! =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Thank you Garnet, I'm glad you enjoyed my review. =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
I hope you did, and I hope you enjoyed it! =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Thank you! =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
I agree this is a great series. Thank you for the recommendation, I'll look in to it! =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Most definitely! Meg Cabot is a wonderful author and this series was great! =] 

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Thank you! =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Thank you for the advice. This actually started out as a class assignment, and I was advised to include what I found enjoyable about the book. I'll definitely consider what you said for future reviews I write. Thank you for reading my article, I appreciate it. =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Thank you. I agree, she is a wonderful author. I just adore her books! =]

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
I never got into the Princess Diaries either, but I have read Airhead. Also a wonderful read, so go for it! =)

Writer2B3 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Thank you. =)

S-Chique00 GOLD, Dundalk, Other

Rocky Balboa: You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

I'll give it a go, thanks for the tip! :)

Dobbiey said...
I LOVE this book. My mom brought it to me to read and I fell in LOVE. This book is amazing and you did a wonderful review. I started my own blog and was wondering if you could give me pointers. Once again. I LOVE this book. Thanks

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
on Jul. 21 2010 at 10:12 am
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

You should try Airhead by Meg Cabot!

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
on Jul. 21 2010 at 10:10 am
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

I love chic-lit! Can any readers read my reviews? I have 4 or 5? Thanks! This review's good, but you should use a thesaurus to enhance your .vocabuluary,

Izzzy BRONZE said...
Izzzy BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

Take nothing but pictures.
Leave nothing but footprints.
Kill nothing but time.

- Motto of the Baltimore Grotto, a caving society

*examples

Sorry I stink at spelling :D