Just Don't Fall by Josh Sundquist | Teen Ink

Just Don't Fall by Josh Sundquist

By SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois

“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau

This is an inspiring true story about how the author Josh Sundquist lost his leg and got over it. One moment, he was a typical energetic nine year okld who loved playing Soccer and the next he was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma.
Children have a different way of talking about things. They are not afraid to tell the truth like an adult would. They have no filter. Sundquist captured his youthful point of view accurately. The book mainly focuses on the time when he was 9 and discovered his cancer and the time he was in high school with providing a little bit of information with what happened in between.
The most interesting thing about this book is the way the author tells the story. He could have written it sad or serious, but he wrote it funny instead. With a comedic look on what it is like to get cancer at such a young age, Sundquist offers a unique view in his autobiography.
Through it all, Sundquist answers questions about what it means to be him. And he does not shy away from sharing his life. Through all of the obstacles in his path, Sundquist shares with his readers the path a young boy took to become a man and realize his dreams.