Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs | Teen Ink

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

November 25, 2015
By Anonymous

Running with scissors book review

A life without a father and a Mother who is going crazy. When your back is to the wall and there seems to be no hope. “Running with scissors” is a story about when a boy named Augusten was parted from his family due to his crazy mother. He couldn't stand his mother and eventually moved into the Finches house. Dr. Finch(the mother's therapist) is a questionable guy. Augustine's life has ever been changed the day he set foot in that house. He has a new life to take on and will find a way to make of it.
This book will disgust you. This book is really good at getting the life lesson through all of the disturbance. “Running with scissors” took me at the very start. I could already tell that this book was full of surprises and crazy/disgusting moments. Augusten Burroughs is really good at making you re-read something because you weren't quite prepared for what happened.
“Running with scissors” was overall an amazing book to read. Its affected me by showing that, even a life that's seems to be ruined and have no meaning, with the power of friends and effort, you can restore your future and become successful. My reading skill has drastically improved after reading this book. It allowed me to see deeper into character and not just what's going on around them. The characters thoughts during the story had a great impact on the understanding of the book. I thought that the book was going to be boring, but after getting deep into Augustine's troubles, it was really an interesting story to be told. I like the way the characters communicated, and how each character was unique in their own way. The book was written in a way to excite and make the worse time in your life, the best times in your life. It took what seemed to be a horrible situation and made it a comedy to joke about.
I like the way the story ended but it could use some work. I want to know what happened after and not just a list of what happened to all the characters after the story. It just kinds ended with no real path to follow. It was interesting but never wanted me to wonder about what's next in his life because I have nothing to off of.
The book taught me that, in any situation bad or good. There is always a way to find success. If you put your heart and effort into it, there shouldn't be a reason to fail.
Augusten used interior monologues a lot in this story. They helped get the reader to understand how he felt during the moment and his opinion on what is being said or done in the moment. “My journals were not funny. They were Tragic. “I don't want to be a writer,” I said automatically. “Look at my mother.” (Pg 172). This style intrigues me. I love to read about what the character thinks of what others say to them and not just yes or no answers. The way characters react to certain moments is interesting. He gives his opinion on his own writing in this example and then tries to connect his opinion to his mother to make his opinion feel right. He uses his mother to further persuade the person he is talking to, to why he doesn't want to be a writer. His mother is like an avoidance more than an inspiration to him.
I highly recommend running with scissors. I understand it is disturbing but it will really catch you off guard and surprise you. I would give “Running with scissors” a four out of five. Some parts will be disturbing , but that's part of life. This book is for the adventurous and curious. Young adults would like it, because they can relate to this story and can connect to some of the trouble Augusten went through in his life to their own life experiences. This book is a must read.
680 words