Carry On by Rainbow Rowell | Teen Ink

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

By runandgo BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania
runandgo BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

sometimes you get run down. sometimes life throws dirt in your eyes and it stings and you can't see for a few minutes. even after you get it out your eyes are all red and your vision is s***ty... but eventually, whether through tears or maybe just time... you start to see even clearer than before. life is not always good. which is why music exists. why i believe God exists. and why there's always a pint of coconut milk ice cream in my freezer.

If you read Rainbow Rowell's previous book, Fangirl, then there's little doubt that you've been waiting with bated breath for Carry On, her latest (and longest) work. (If you haven't read Fangirl, well, go ahead and read it, and then come back, because it's definitely worth it.) Carry On is strange because it's not a sequel, but sort of a companion book. I like to call it book-ception, because truly, Carry On is almost a book within a book - it's close to, but not exactly, the fanfiction that the main character of Fangirl, Cath, writes.
Now, if you're put off by fanfiction, then this is not the place for you. Because while it's not technically fanfiction (because the Simon Snow series doesn't actually exist), at some times, it reads like it. And by that, I mean that it reads like all the best parts of fanfiction; the parts that feel too good to be true. At its core, you might argue that Carry On is glorified Harry Potter fanfiction. While it does take obvious influence from Harry Potter, Rowell does a very good job at clearly separating Harry's world from Simon's. It's the Boy Who Lived for a modern age, complete with the Internet, cell phones, and the queer and non-white representation (almost) totally missing from HP.
In it, Simon Snow returns for his eighth and final year at the Watford School of Magicks. His summers are spent shuffled between youth homes, since his parents gave him up when he was a baby, but his school years are spent at Watford, hanging out with his best friend Penelope Bunce (a determined, smart-as-a-whip Indian girl - yes, there is a boy/girl platonic friendship!) and girlfriend, Agatha Wellbelove. Of course, there's a catch: the magickal world is battling a force known as the Insidious Humdrum, which can suck all of the magic out of huge slices of land, creating holes in the magickal atmosphere. And Simon was prophesied to be the only one who can stop him. But he's not sure he actually can.
When Simon gets back, things start getting worse. There's conflict between the headmaster of the school, the Mage, and the older families of the magickal world, and on top of that, his roommate, Baz, is missing. Not that he should be upset about this - they're enemies. And Baz is probably a vampire. But it's worrying.
On the other hand, Baz definitely doesn't hate Simon. And he's definitely a vampire. And he hasn't just been skipping school for two months. Soon, though, being in love with his roommate will be the least of his problems, as the holes in the atmosphere grow and his family gets increasingly uneasy about leaving him at the school with the Mage, who they view as unstable. After all, his mother died protecting the school from the vampires who Turned him into one of them.
The switching in points of view throughout the novel creates suspense for the reader as you wait for the other characters to find out what you know already (you'll know exactly what I mean when you read it). And at the points where everything comes together, you'll jump out of your chair in victory.
On a more serious note, any Harry Potter fan can recognize the lack of diversity in the series, and also note that it's a bit outdated. I'm not saying it's going to fill the Harry Potter-shaped hole in your heart. (Because nothing can fill that hole. It's permanent. Thanks, J.K. Rowling.) But it does make it a little better to read about a modern wizarding/magickal world where a Google search can help look for a missing person, kids at the dangerous wizard school have to carry smartphones so their parents know they're okay, and boys can be in love. (I know Dumbledore was gay, but come on. He's dead, and also he never even mentioned it in six whole books.) Queer representation is necessary in today's media, and it feels right to update the magic narrative to be inclusive.
Reading Fangirl isn't necessary to read Carry On, but I highly recommend it, because it makes everything that much more special if you've already seen the idea of the Simon Snow series. Everything here is fleshed out and real, and it's so satisfying.
This book, like Fangirl, caters to the Internet generation, who grew up with easy access to online fandoms and fanfiction. But it doesn't feel contrived. The characters are witty, funny, and romantic, but at the same time, they're childish and petty. They flirt with referencing Harry Potter characters but buck the tropes that are so common in "chosen one" narratives. They're real, and refreshing.
If you read this book, I promise you'll zip through it. And then you'll immediately want to read it again. Because at the end of the day, who doesn't love a good wizard story?

I read Fangirl, the predecessor to this novel, and I loved it, but this book is something else entirely. It's important to me on a personal level because I grew up with Harry Potter, and it's nice to see a modern-age wizard story. 

lilycalla16 SILVER, Lisle, Illinois

"Freely we serve, Because we freely love, as in our will to love or not; in this we stand or fall."
-John Milton

Nice review! I loved this book so much that after I finished it, I spent three weeks reading a couple chapters a night to my twin sister and practically lost my voice in the process. We just finished it yesterday, and I think she loves it now just as much as I do!