Island of Fog by Keith Robinson

By ThrillQueen126 SILVER, Seattle, Washington
ThrillQueen126 SILVER, Seattle, Washington

“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you. And then you have to put it back into the sky. And it's the most painful thing you'll ever have to do and that you've ever done. But what's yours is yours. Whether it’s up in the sky or here in your hands. And one day, it'll fall from the sky and hit you in the head real hard and that time, you won't have to put it back in the sky again.”
― C. JoyBell C.

Island of Fog is a wonderful, gripping novel that left me spellbound after finishing it. There are nine books in the series, and I have read them all countless times.

This book is little-known, but it deserves to be a bestseller, even a movie. Although, I love being the only person I know who has read it. It's my own private little world, and people won't talk about it and make it into something it isn't, make the characters into something they aren't.

And on the subject of characters, this is where I find one of the only flaws I've seen. The main character, Hal, is a bit of a Gary Stu. It doesn't bother me that much when I'm reading, but it is noticeable.

My personal favorite character was Abigail, a snarky, sarcastic, and curious girl who is thought to be a brat by most of the other kids. She develops incredibly throughout the story, and I feel kind of like I've sort of connected with her. To me, that's the mark of a good book, and an exceptional character.

As for the plot, Island of Fog is a post-apocalyptic, science fiction/fantasy (Can't exactly decide which...) novel, although you don't learn this until the middle of the story.
Nine children have lived all their lives on a small island covered in fog, never given answers about why they were here, and what the outside world was like. As they grow older, they begin to get more curious, and when a mysterious stranger comes to the island, asking them strange questions, they decide it's time to learn the truth. But there is something strange happening to them, and they don't know what to think, or who to tell.

This book has almost no low ratings, and I think everyone will enjoy it. Go read it! It won't be a waste of time, I promise. (Plus, it's free on Kindle...)

Keith Robinson is a very talented author, and there's not one book I've read by him that I haven't enjoyed.

This is the second and completely overhauled version of the same review that I posted awhile ago. Due to an extremely annoying bug, I had to create an entirely new version instead of just editing the old version.

Anyway, I've loved these books ever since I read the first one at age 11, and they remained my favorite books for almost two years. I hope I inspire someone to at least read the first one, which this review focuses on. If you do, let me know what you think of it! I'd love to hear everone's opinions.

on Jan. 11 2016 at 8:40 pm

― C. JoyBell C.

Thanks both of you! And yes, @HammadWaseem I will.

HammadWaseem said...
on Jan. 11 2016 at 12:12 am
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other

Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

Thats great btw will you rate and comment on my teen ink video work named, "The Unbeatable Breakdancer"? @thrillqueen126 :)

Sonder said...
on Jan. 7 2016 at 9:07 am
Sonder, Wattpad, Other
Wow. You're really good with reviews, I suppose I'm tempted to give the series a read. Good work!

on Dec. 5 2015 at 3:04 pm

― C. JoyBell C.

Just wondering... it says 17 people recommend this at the bottom, does that mean they recommend my review, or the actual book?

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!