<i>An Abundance of Katherines</i> by John Green | Teen Ink

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green MAG

By coxhst BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
coxhst BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

"Take critisism, smash it into dust, add color, and use it to paint breathtaking images of unicorns frolicking through endless fields." -MGG

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green is somewhat of a let-down. The book is full of math and geniuses but lacks a truly good conflict. This book, made to entertain, isn’t very entertaining at all. It simply portrays a boring guy looking for love. John Green does an excellent job of making a few very individualized “tumblr” type teenagers. However, no one in this book thinks originally. I like individuality in characters, but how much is too much?

Colin Singleton, the main protagonist, is depressed due to his nineteenth break-up with his nineteenth girlfriend named Katherine. Therefore, to solve his depression, his best friend, Hassan, decides to take him on a road trip to absolutely no place in particular. They are just two friends driving around the country with a load of money. During the trip, they stop in the rural Tennessee town of Gutshot, where they meet Lindsey Wells, who becomes their good friend.

The book, as interesting as it may sound, is not very interesting at all. Whenever the plot did happen to bring me to the edge of my seat, it quickly became boring again. The romance was sort of good, and certain parts of the rising and falling action had their fun moments. But the key climax was really unexciting. The parts that seemed like they should be the best were actually so boring I could barely get through them. I liked the back stories of Katherines, but the in-the-moment parts were not good.

Green is a fantastic writer who uses great detail, but as detailed as this book is, it is dreadfully boring. I only recommend it to anyone who doesn’t mind a lack of drama and story line. This book is about intelligent people dating, and there isn’t much more to it than that. As good as it may sound, it is a letdown.

ShaquanMcDowell SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

"Every generation needs a new revolution"

WHAT?!?!? Love the article, but totally disagree! This book was spectacular, in my opinion. Took me less than a day to read it, because I wouldnt put it done! I identified with the character and his conflict, one I feel was more subliminal as it was concentrate on internal factors.