<i>The Selection Series</i> by Kiera Cass | Teen Ink

The Selection Series by Kiera Cass MAG

August 30, 2015
By Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary


I rolled my eyes when I read how Publishers Weekly described The Selection: “A cross between ‘The Hunger Games’ (minus the bloodsport) and ‘The Bachelor’ (minus the bloodsport).” Please. “The Bachelor” and “The Hunger Games”? Sounds like taking everything amazing about “The Hunger Games” and ruining it with everything horrible about “The Bachelor.”

And, boy, was I right.

America Singer, a Five in a caste system of Eight, is entered into the Selection, a competition of 35 girls vying for Prince Maxon’s hand. But America is in love with Aspen, a Six. Despite her undying love for Aspen, America agrees to sign up for the Selection for the chance to provide for her struggling family. To her immense surprise, she is chosen to compete. Over the course of three books, America discovers herself and who her heart truly belongs to.

I think a revised version of the Publishers Weekly quote should read: “A cross between ‘The Bachelor’ (minus everything exciting, and there’s not a lot of that to begin with) and ‘The Hunger Games’ (minus everything).” I didn’t hate the series; I rarely hate any book, because they all have something to offer. But The Selection just didn’t offer enough for me to be impressed.

America, the protagonist, annoyed me so much that I actually threw my hands up in disgust at one point. She comes across as selfish and spoiled, even though her life as a Five is supposedly full of struggles. She switches her devotion from Maxon to Aspen and back so many times that I could barely keep track. And she is quite a hypocrite; she hates when Maxon shares romantic, intimate moments with other girls, but she does so with Aspen more times than I can count. I did enjoy America’s spunky attitude, but Kiera Cass’s attempt to portray her as a strong heroine falls flat.

So much romance. So little action. How this could be compared to “The Hunger Games,” I have no idea. Don’t get me wrong, the romantic moments are beautiful. Sweet. I might have even melted a bit. But the romance just cannot make up for the lack of action.

Usually, I’m as awful at predicting plot lines as weathermen, but the entire Selection series contains so many predictable events that I experienced déjà vu when reading them for the first time. Come on, Cass, where is the originality?

If you enjoy romance, Kiera Cass doesn’t disappoint. If you are hoping for something more than 35 girls competing for one guy, a love triangle, and countless displays of misogyny, The Selection series might not be for you. 

The author's comments:

I've heard many positive reviews about The Selection series. I just happen to share the unpopular opinion. Please don't let this review prevent you from reading The Selection series. In one sentence, The Selection is a wonderful romance that just needs some more action. Enjoy!