The True Diary of a Part-Time Indian | Teen Ink

The True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

By Mcbruh1 SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
Mcbruh1 SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

"The best way out is always through."

This book is magnificent, weird, sad and happy at times. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. The plot is weird but interesting and takes you into a life of a kid on a rez. If you have never heard what a rez is a rez is a North American reservation where Indians are kept because of money issues.

The True Diary of a Part-Time Indian had me thinking a lot for a while and made me appreciate the little things in life. Even if you aren’t rich you can do many things in life without money. ”If you let people into your life a little bit, they can be pretty damn amazing.” (Sherman Alexie, 134). The quotes you hear in The Part-Time Indian really do have meaning to them and make you happy or sad in many ways. ”I think the world is a series of broken dams and floods, and my cartoons are tiny little lifeboats.” (Sherman Alexie, 56) The quotes really make you visualize what the quotes is saying. When I heard the quote above it made me think about how the world has changed and how the society is getting out of hand.

The Part-Time Indian in general is a very amazing book to read with visualizations in every chapter which really helps you understand what Arnold is going through and how hard it is to do things without money and without support. I would recommend this book to young adults because of the language that’s used in the book and the mind of the characters.