Review of Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements | Teen Ink

Review of Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements

August 21, 2015
By nac1887biller BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
nac1887biller BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hit bills to pay the bills



The first time I read Things Not Seen, I was left amazed and jealous. The book is about a teenage boy who wakes up to discover that he is completely invisible - which is awesome to start off with. The power of invisibility is something most people would want, at least that’s what I think.


When Bobby’s parents find out about his invisibility, they refuse to let his son become a transparent human lab rat for the government to feed off of, so they protect him by keeping him out of school and any other plans that would expose their secret. With Bobby’s father as a scientist of sorts, he attempts to execute experiments on him as they wouldn’t lead to any success. As soon as Bobby reaches the maximum level of boredom and decides to head to the library and literally bumps into a blind girl whose name is Alicia. They spend a little bit of time together off the start but eventually she feels his bare chest on accident as he has to be naked to be invisible. He exposes the truth to her and her parents to avoid Alicia hating him. Conveniently, her father is a scientist as well and he joins in on the private testing on Bobby. Towards the end of the story, Bobby finds that the electric blanket he slept with the night his transformation took place was faulty and ends up having to infiltrate the Sears corporate headquarters with Alicia to obtain names and numbers of people who have returned the model in hopes of finding someone with in the same situation. He finds a woman who ran away to Florida who has been living in transparency for over three years and is determined to find out how to reverse the effect. In the end, he tries what they should have tried first to turn him back, which is sleep with the electric blanket again. That morning he awakes to be completely opaque. Bobby and Alicia find that after what they’ve gone through, they love each other.


The book kept me fully engaged and interested until the very end and I would recommend it to anyone. Things Not Seen had just the right amount of suspense and wasn’t as predictable as I find most books. The fact that it is such an odd situation to be in, it makes a very unique narrative and, overall, a great read.