My Fight/ Your Fight by Ronda Rousey and Maria Burns Ortiz | Teen Ink

My Fight/ Your Fight by Ronda Rousey and Maria Burns Ortiz

By karenlovesrondarousey BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
karenlovesrondarousey BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

I know I can deal when things are bad, I can come back when things are at their worst. - Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey My Fight/ Your Fight Book Review
“My Fight/Your Fight”- is the unbelievable biography of Ronda Rousey, exclusively written by Rousey and her sister, Maria Burns Ortiz. Ronda is the UFC bantamweight undefeated champion and also known as the most dominant athlete in the world.
It is such a captivating book, as the audience, you put yourself in the protagonists place. Reading the book is an emotional but beautiful journey, I cried a lot throughout the book. Ronda was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck, on the Apgar scale that rates babies’ health, she was a 0! Luckily, she survived but she would have brain damage and that would delay her to be ability to walk and speak, Ronda was born a fighter. Three years of age and Ronda couldn’t speak, the way she talks about those moments makes me feel frustrated, and no one understood her. On her third birthday she wanted a WWF Hulk, her mom took her to every toy store and no one seemed to understand her, until her father took her to another great toy store and the clerk finally understood and placed the Hulk in her hands. On August 11, her dad committed suicide, the worst tragedy her family has ever faced. Ronda chased her dream of someday winning the Olympics. Sadly, that dream was not meant to be she was destined to be in the UFC Champion. Ronda faced many obstacles, she was homeless and lived on the back seat of her car, she always had a little amount of money but never gave up on Judo, she distanced herself from her family because everyone doubted her. For one year she stopped training and started doing bad habits daily (drinking, smoking, Etc.). This book served me as motivation, never let anyone tell you what you can do or can’t, like Ronda she trains to be the best on her worst day, she trains every day for perfection. Now Ronda helps me keep in mind, ‘Do not accept less than what you’re capable of’, I can’t be comfortable with just average.
Over all, My Fight/ Your Fight is a fascinating book, only readers would understand how amazing and heart powerful she made it. I would read this book as many times as I could without a doubt. Rousey took many risks in life, she wasn’t afraid of losing all her money. Not many people take risks because theyre afraid, but look at her now the first woman in the UFC. When you’re able to work hard for something and accomplish it, you prove people wrong, like Ronda proved Dana White wrong when he said he would never allow woman is the UFC and many others that doubted her. Success is the best revenge. And like she says, “There is no need to fear the unknown; the fight is yours to win.”