Split Second by Catherine Coulter | Teen Ink

Split Second by Catherine Coulter

By Starr_laVon16 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Starr_laVon16 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Split Second Review
Whether you are a fan of a thriller or a sucker for a romance novel, Catherine Coulter’s Split Second touches on both.
From the beginning of the book, Coulter dives straight into drama with a store robbery that soon introduces FBI agents Savich(boss), Sherlock, Coop and Lucy Carlyle (main character). These agents show that they are willing to risk their lives to save others and do a job well done while dealing with their own life troubles.
One main reason why I did not enjoy this book is due to the fact that there was too much happening at once. There was an unnecessary incident of a store robbery that Savich was investigating that continued throughout the book. It had nothing to do with the main story, and was just a small look into Savich’s life. Another reason this book seemed underdeveloped is probably in behalf of the lack of urgency, or thrill. Even though it was a chase for a murderer, it missed out on the actual excitement of the case.
The one good thing about this read is how Lucy’s family life ties into the main case. Lucy’s grandmother, who was crazy, killed her grandfather over a ring with special powers. Lucy’s father saw the murder and concealed it within himself until he was on his death bed, and screamed the truth to Lucy. After this, Lucy finds her dead grandfather. To me, this event seemed to be the most thrilling because you can feel the heartache and grief Lucy and the others felt.
From all the mixed feelings surrounding this book, I would not recommend it. Coulter’s Split Second was less than enjoyable and not worth the read; the connecting stories seemed unfinished, overflowed with avoidable events and had an acute amount of positive aspects.