Speaker for the Dead by Carson Scott Card | Teen Ink

Speaker for the Dead by Carson Scott Card

By Raymundo_Corona BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Raymundo_Corona BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Speaker for the Dead Book Review

If anyone has ever read  Ender’s Game then Speaker for the Dead by Carson Scott Card is a must. This book is considered the soul of Ender’s Game and it's one of the best sci-fi books ever written by him. The level of thrill and drama in this book will completely capture your attention making this read for everyone.
The story takes place in a Catholic galaxy and with a Starways Congress whom have taken necessary precautions when a new alien species is discovered after a group of scientist have died.  People debated whether the species is docile or dangerous, but the main character, Andrew, must fight for the mission he embarked on. As he continues throughout the story, he must “speak the death of others” in order to solve the puzzle that this new alien race has created.
The readers should understand that this book can be bit slow at times such as when the speaker came to Novinha’s house, Andrew spent hours waiting instead of the story moving with a faster paced, but the effect that will have later on is immense. Carson’s way of describing scenes can be frustrating, but he will always fill in the gaps every time a character talks about something or somewhere, making every detail count such as when Miro described the little knowledge that he had of the “pequeninos”. The main reason why Speakers is so effective is due to the many dialogues it has, and how every single scene gives you different perspectives such that one minute you are agreeing with Ender’s decision but then you dislike his way of thinking.
Finally, this book is exceptional since it has that semi-perfect mixture of drama and action with a touch of mystery and horror. This book is for people whose interests are elaborated scenes with tons of conversations which give you both of the character’s perspectives, interests, and goals. The Ender we all know or might not know changed into something that might disappoint more than one, but the story is worth it reading.