Love & Lies by Ellen Wittlinger | Teen Ink

Love & Lies by Ellen Wittlinger

By PyroHearts GOLD, San Jose, California
PyroHearts GOLD, San Jose, California

You can spend hours reading a book to be completely crestfallen by its wasted potential and nauseously disgusted by the ending—but surprisingly, this does not describe Ellen Wittlinger’s lesbian, student-teacher Love & Lies. An engrossing story with ingenious insight on sexuality and relationships, this unconventional novel follows the story of Marisol Guzman who has deferred the prestigious Stanford to pursue her two ambitious dreams: writing her first novel and falling in love.

However, Wittlinger's beautiful book breaks as many taboos as hearts! Be ready to dance in drama and cry in confusion, for Marisol and her love-interest captivate characters’ and readers’ hearts. With their vastly different positions in society and a considerable age gap, will love really win? Is what she and her teacher share really love to begin with…?

Yet how talented is Wittlinger with her compelling, passionate writing style! Each distinctive character is multi-dimensional and relatable, real and lovable for their features and flaws. Additionally, foreshadowing, sprinkled throughout the dazzling novel, gradually sheds light on what it means to love and what being in a serious relationship entails. But wait—there's more! Read now, and you will get exclusive lessons on how to improve as a writer... free intriguing writing prompts included!

Enamoring readers with witty humor and lingering lessons, Love & Lies burns as a fast read in tearful eyes and paper-cut fingers. You will catch yourself grinning pathetically; you will guffaw in misery. You will find adoration for both character and craft. Wittlinger’s romantic novel is the type of book that you won’t want to return to the library, and yet... you will. And it will be heartbreak, but when you leave, you will know that you did not leave alone.

I read this beautiful book two weeks ago. Wittlinger changed my view of the world forever, and Love and Lies has definitely stolen a spot in my list of favorite, meaningful reads. I have been so moved to write this book review in desperate hopes of sharing the joy and lessons I have learned. Please pick up this book, you will not regret it.