Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley & Heather Hepler This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“I have some rules about books,” says Eliot, a character in Scrambled Eggs at Midnight. “No books with neon or metallic printing on the cover. No books with three-word titles that seem constructed by some publishing rubric … And especially nothing that has a cutout on the cover, so that you get, like, a double cover when you lift the real cover.” If Eliot just insulted one of your favor­ite books, don’t be discouraged. I might be wary to take the advice of a boy with green lips too, but Scrambled Eggs at Midnight is everything he promises and more.

This romantic comedy follows Eliot and Cal and the events that ensue as they meet, fall in love and try not to fall apart. The first time I read it, I was smiling constantly. Now, after finishing the book for a fourth time, it’s still there! With its single cover, four-word title, and unusual characters, Scrambled Eggs at Midnight is so entertaining you’ll be dying to read it again.

Eliot is sweet and considerate, but relatively friendless, at his family-run weight loss summer camp that promises help getting “thin with Christ.” Heading the operation is Eliot’s crazy father, a.k.a. “The Dad,” who frequently cites Eliot’s minor misdemeanors as sins because “everything became a sin in 1998.” If that isn’t bad enough, his mother has slowly withdrawn from the entrepreneurial lifestyle “The Dad” has chosen. Eliot’s life is spiraling downward faster than the shell of one of his exploded fireworks – until he meets Cal.

With her pale skin, green eyes, and fiery red hair, Calliope captures Eliot’s heart in one flash of her bright white teeth. She too comes from a dysfunctional family. She acts as the parent, even filing taxes, while her mother, Dolores, plays dress-up as a “wench,” dragging Cal across the country to various Renaissance Faires. Her mother is always looking for the next big thing and fails to notice that Cal misses the father they left behind in Texas. Cal can only tolerate her mother’s nomadic lifestyle for so long.

When Cal’s mom takes her on their next big adventure, fate brings our dynamic duo together. Though it feels like they have always known each other, this is no fairy tale. Trouble is always on the horizon, and Cal has to keep an eye on her aloof mother, who has never understood her desire to stay in one place.

Barkley and Hepler pen charming and relatable characters that pop off the pages of their first novel. Switching perspectives between Eliot and Cal with every chapter, this book is quirky and eccentric. Dialogue, especially between the two, is full of snappy retorts and exciting punch lines so intelligent you’ll wish you’d thought of them. But, in all seriousness, underneath the jokes and laughs, Scrambled Eggs is a heartwarming romance that I have reread and relentlessly recommended to everyone.

This book will have you laughing out loud, rooting for Eliot and Cal, and really, truly wondering, what would Jesus eat?

Kimiko said...
I'm psyched to get this book and read it all because of your review! Your good at pursuaying someone.

paige14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
A great review for a wonderful book. You manage to capture the fun spirit of the book as well as the turmoil that brings these two characters together.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm writing this on my library list! great review...how can i not?

GuitarGirl92851 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:57 am
I just added it to my list, too. It's right up there with A Prayer for Owen MeanyLamb and The Elegance of a Hedgehog.

Rosemary-Martin replied...

Elegance of a Hedgehog 

NO WAY. I just wrote a story about hedgehogs! (It's on here, under my name...)  I HAVE to read this book! :) 

Yeah, my friend Jack bought it and let me read the flap. I get to borrow it once our English teacher is done with it. It's supposed to be amazing.

Rosemary-Martin replied...
Cool! Hedgehogs are generally amazing. Even though from what I understand the book is titled after a metaphor of a hedgehog...But still...

awesomeaugust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'll have to go get this from the library! What a wonderfully done review and it portrayed your sincere love for this book. I've just added it as one of my favorites- the first review!

S-Chique00 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
professional and genuine review; great job! i'm heading straight for the library!

GracieLynn said...
Loved the review:)

trblue said...
thay have this book at the school lib. checked it out, but did not read it. im reading a lot right not. when i go back to school. it been snowing like for 2 wk so time will tell. but im gone read this book.

goddess_of_the_moon_123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Loved the review! Can't wait to read this-- thanks!

mellow_melon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 8:58 am
this was a GREAT book. the best one ive read in a while! the review is really well written too, good job!

Avalynn said...
oooh, this is a great review- im gonna go searching for this book!!!

great review! one of the best i've read. I'll have to fun to library- thanks i've been looking for a god read

riter_wanab said...
I LOOOOVED this book it was so good.

pizza_princess said...
Mar. 31, 2009 at 12:49 am
Wow!!! Your review was really well written and it makes me really want to reade the book!!! I have never even heard of it before, but it sounds really interesting and I really want to read it now.

ElizabethS. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was spectacular!! I read that book several months ago, and I loved it, so did my sister. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story with everyone else.

perfectperformer said...
i heard about this book through your review and that's how i decided that i should definitely read it! i loved it and i thought it was amazing! keep writing reviews so i can keep learning about great books to read!

booklover28704 said...
i have read this book. its great! ur review of this book was great.