Stiff by Mary Roach | Teen Ink

Stiff by Mary Roach

May 21, 2015
By TwoAngrySmurfs BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
TwoAngrySmurfs BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Stiff, by Mary Roach, is a clever non-fiction about the body after death. The book is a comedy with a scientific outlook on the exploration of a dead body. Each chapter is crafted to fit a certain topic about the cadaver. The book is very precise on its descriptions and words in order to make a dead body not that bad. Mary Roach is a clever author using humor to keep her story from being a science report on her findings. Not only is this about the bodies processes it also explains how science uses cadaver in its quest to find the the best for things like plastic surgery, car crashes, bullet penetration, and other topics. Each chapter has its own unique feel and humor. The chapter are very well thought-out and are written in a very specific way. Some of the chapters go even to talk about the history of certain things. Regardless of how weak your stomach is the humor will out-weight the disgustingness. Some of the parts will definitely ruin your appetite so beware of your surrounding while reading. My most major complaint is the last chapter. Every chapter before this has been full of humor and dead bodies, but this chapter has almost neither of both. It is very serious and is more about the author opinion about cadavers and experimentation on dead bodies. It is very different from the story and how abrupt it comes in the story is particularly odd. I thought something like this would be more like an epilogue than a full chapter. The book beyond that was very good and I feel I have learnt more about dead bodies than I ever wanted to know dead  bodies. This book is good at capturing my attention from start to finish.