The Hoot by Carl Hiaasen | Teen Ink

The Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

March 25, 2015
By Pakorn Lorkitticanich BRONZE, Bangkok, Other
Pakorn Lorkitticanich BRONZE, Bangkok, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A Mysterious Owl
Have you ever want to help someone? I give you Hoot, which was written by Carl Hiaasen. This story comes with many mysterious, which the story is about a boy name Roy. His friend tries to help the owl and the running boy to stop the construction side. I really enjoyed this book.
A boy named Roy who just move from Montana to Florida. At the school where Roy didn’t wants to learn. Roy got bully and a mysterious of the barefoot running boy who Roy sees every day. Roy finds his new friend Beatrice who knows the barefoot running boy. Roy finds out that the running boy was a brother of Beatrice. Roy knows that the running boy was called Mullet-Finger. The running boy parent didn’t want the running boy. So the running boy ran out from home. Which all of these lead Roy to help Mullet-Finger and to help the Burrowing owl. To stop the construction side of the Mother Paula's pancake house, that do illegal things. What will happen to Roy and his friend what will Roy do to help the owl? If you want to know what will happen you need to read this book to find out. What will happen to Roy?
I really like this book because it got many mysterious things about the running boy and the owl. For example in the story make the mysterious thing with the name of the running boy and the owl that what the owl will do. So it makes the reader want to read more about the running boy and the owl and to find out the truth of the running man and the owl.
In this book, I like the character in the story it gives us the ideas of the boy who loves animal. Want to help the animals and his friend. Many characters in this story have different characteristic, which makes the story fun. Example when Roy punch Dana in the nose it makes the mood of scary. It also makes the reader think that if it were them what would they do? The character also gives us the mood of funny, serious, sad, and happy. The character set up the mood of the book to make the reader enjoy the book. Makes the reader wants to read more and more and make the reader enjoy the book.
The plot of this story was very interesting and good. Example it gives the good setting in Florida and we are thinking about the beach and summer. Which makes people want to go to Florida and it also makes the reader want to continue reading the story. The story was plotted very good it makes people want to read and the author choose the right setting and time for the book that he write.
The theme of the book has a nice and good teaching to people, which could see through the story that Roy is growing up older. He could think of himself and he decides thing for himself. Example when Roy wants to find out that is the running boy. But Dana pulls Roy and choke Roy on the neck so Roy punches Dana. Roy characteristic has change along the story. Roy helping other and didn’t let people disdain him so he fights. The theme of this story is that you could be stronger if you learn a thing from an experience. The world will teach you what to do and you will grow up like Roy does.
I really love this book, it teaches me many lessons that I didn’t know for example we should help the people that are our friend and who we trust.  This lesson makes me want to change to a goober people and citizen. If you want to change yourself and want to do things better than now then buy this book.