"The Lady or the Tiger" Ending Suggestion | Teen Ink

"The Lady or the Tiger" Ending Suggestion

By Lily_Kolesa GOLD, Troy, Illinois
Lily_Kolesa GOLD, Troy, Illinois

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go." - Dr. Seuss

Frank R. Stockton's, “The Lady, or the Tiger?” lets the audience decide who comes out of the door at the end of this short story. The author gives hints that the tiger would come out of the door. “It was one of the fairest and loveliest of the damsels of the court who had been selected as the reward of the youth, should he be proved innocent of the crime of aspiring to one so far above him; and the princess hated her.” (35) which shows the princess shows hatred towards the maiden. Any woman who is jealous of a lady that her lover talks to would rather have him dead than with her. Although, some may argue the woman would have come out because of the quote, “She loved him with an ardor that had enough barbarism in it to make it exceedingly warm and strong.” (34). They’d say it shows she loves him so much, that even though she’s barbaric, she would not hurt him. That’s wrong; being barbaric means that she did not have manners, therefore she’d hurt him. In conclusion, the tiger is what comes out of the door in “The Lady or the Tiger?”.