Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman | Teen Ink

Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman

Whoosh! As the high winds hit rooftops and rattled the stars up above. Two best friends Claire and Hailey spent their summer at the Capri Beach Club. Before summer ends and before Claire moves to Florida, an exciting change happened at the Capri Beach Club. They find a mermaid named Aquamarine washed up in the pool after the storm. They help her fall in love with Raymond a boy who runs the snack shop. The book was okay, but the movie was better.

The Capri Beach Club was closing because it was getting worse every year. Weeds started growing, holes were in the beach umbrellas, seagulls subjugated the pool area, families that usually spent there summers at the club gave up their membership, no lifeguards, the cafeteria was closed, and only thing left was the snack shop, run Raymond. In the movie the Beach Club was open, everyone was at the beach club, and instead of Raymond running the snack shop he was a lifeguard. The book says Claire moves to Florida with her grandparents because Claire’s grandfather broke his leg slipping on ice and the grandmother said it was time to move. Instead of Claire moving, Hailey is moving because her mom scored a great opportunity in Australia. Another difference is the morning after the storm Hailey and Claire went to the beach club to check out the place. At the beach club Hailey jumps into the dirty pool and sees the mermaid. In the movie Claire falls into the pool and sees the mermaid. When they go back to see the mermaid Aquamarine’s character is stubborn, selfish, and spoiled. Then Aquamarine personality was nice, kind, and curious. Aquamarine swam away from home and in the movie she swam away three days before she had to marry a merman. The only way she can get out of the marriage is proving her father love does exist. When Aquamarine was on land she didn’t have legs she was in a wheelchair. Instead of a wheel chair she had legs on land.
   The director of the movie is Elizabeth Allen.  The main characters are Hailey played by Jojo, Claire acted by Emma Roberts, then Aquamarine Sara Paxton played the role, and the celebrity that played Raymond was Jake McDorman. Elizabeth made change and added scenes to make longer and interesting. The book was short and most of the time they were explaining more of the character and not much of events happening. The only events happening in the book was finding Aquamarine, helping her get a date with Raymond, and Claire moving. In the movie it had events from after the storm, to finding Aquamarine, and then helping Aquamarine find love so they can get a wish. While helping Aquamarine fall in love with Raymond there was a rivalry between Aquamarine and a mean girl named Cecilia because they both like him. There were little events that made it lead to the conclusion. All the events added and kept from the book in the movie makes it better than book. The movie draws your attention more and the book is just straight forward like it’s predictable was going to happen next.
   The movie is better than the book because the book is shorter and boring and the movie has interesting and funny scenes. I high recommend that you just watch the movie. Don’t read the book it’s a waste of time unless you want to compare the book and the movie to get your opinion. The book is just straightforward and the movie has different events that all lead up to the ending.