Openly Straight by Bill Koingsberg | Teen Ink

Openly Straight by Bill Koingsberg

Rafe is a teenage boy living in Boulder Colorado. Rafe plays soccer and loves to write. His best friend Clare Olivia and him are inseparable. Rafe is also one of the only gay kids at his high school. Rafe gets made fun of just for being gay. Rafe has had enough of it, and he decides to start life over again across the country to Massachusetts at an all-boys boarding school, Natick. The second he gets there, he decides to but being gay behind him and acts straight. From there it’s an emotional roller-coaster of love, friendship, and humor. Openly Straight, written by Bill Konigsberg, is an amazing book for teenagers of all ages who are looking for a good laugh and a funny ‘bromance’.
Once Rafe’s parents leave, he is greeted by Zack “Steve” Nickelson, who takes him down to “The Quad” to play a game of football. There, he meets some of the boys who will be part of his soccer team in a few weeks. But the one who captures his eye the most is Ben; a tall, twice as muscular guy with blue eyes, and jet black hair. Once he returns to his dorm, all bloody nosed and all, he meets his roommate Albie, along with his friend Toby; who are talking about how many 6 year olds in a gang that they can fight off. As the day goes on, Toby, Albie, and Rafe become great friends.
            In Openly Straight we meet the main characters Rafe, Ben, Alfie, Toby, Clare Olivia, Mr. Scarborough, and Rafe’s parents. The thing about Rafe, is that you will never know what he will do next. Ben is just curious, especially after things happen with one of his best friends, so he has to trust Rafe. Toby is gay, just like Rafe, but Toby doesn’t know Rafe is gay. Albie and Toby are best friends, and once Rafe moves in, the three of them begin to go on adventures around campus using Albie’s police scanner. Openly Straight is quite the page turner, from missing students, to a naked woman walking around yelling at teenagers in cars. The reader will never know what will happen, or what Rafe will say next.
                        In Openly Straight Rafe thinks that his plan is full proof, and he will just pass by as another straight boy. But what happens when he starts to feel feelings for his friend Ben? Will he tell Ben that he’s gay, and find out if he is gay too, or will he keep it a secret? This is one of Rafe’s biggest problems throughout the book. Rafe doesn’t want to lose Ben as a friend, but he also doesn’t want to ignore his feelings.
            Kongsberg tells the story as it is, and doesn’t spare any detail. However towards the ending of the book, it does seem open ended, and doesn’t give any more information about Ben and Rafe. The book speeds through the second semester in as little as twenty pages. This makes people interested in if there is going to be a sequel to thru book. Kongsberg should look into doing this to appease his readers.
            Overall, Openly Straight is a great book. If someone is interested in how gay teens think, this would be a great book for them. However, this book contains some mild content that may not be suitable for all people, so if you are not interested into that, this would not be a good book.