A Sense of Honor by James Webb | Teen Ink

A Sense of Honor by James Webb MAG

January 19, 2015
By bobbybendik BRONZE, State College, Pennsylvania
bobbybendik BRONZE, State College, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A Sense of Honor by James Webb is a thrilling novel that attempts to capture the experiences of cadets at the United States Naval Academy. Though fictional, this story has its roots in Webb’s own experience at the Naval Academy and his enlistment into the United States Marine Corps. I found it very enjoyable.

The book takes place over the course of just a few days. Readers follow a “plebe” (freshman), a captain, and a few midshipmen first class as they attempt to make their way through the trials of the Naval Academy during a time of war. Their stories, though vastly different, are inevitably intertwined. Each character chases his definition of success and works hard to reach accomplishments.

As someone truly fascinated with the service academies, I found myself engulfed in A Sense of Honor, unable to put it down. I even ended up rereading it a few times, and the story entertained me each time. Anyone who is thinking about going to the Naval Academy should read this book. I would rate it a perfect 10/10. It features amazing writing, an interesting story line, and a multilayered plot that Webb manages to pull together to allow the stories to come full circle.

Webb is a fantastic author who allows his audience to not only read the story but truly sit down and think about it. A Sense of Honor is informative and entertaining for readers as they become an omnipotent overseer of the midshipman experience.