The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Amel boucenna | Teen Ink

The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Amel boucenna

January 18, 2015
By Amel.boubou BRONZE, Manhattan, New York
Amel.boubou BRONZE, Manhattan, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Rebecca Skloot is the writer of The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks.This book was published in 2011.Winner of several awards The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks was featured in over 60 critics best of the year lists.There is also a movie called 'the life after Henreitta Lacks's death'.This movie was realised by Mathias Thery in 2004.The book sold millions.They created a foundation and donated a portion of the procedes of her book.It was the winner of bookbrowse's 2010 best book award.

The story of henrietta Lacks's life is totally terrible and affecting.She had a real suffering life.At the beginning of 1950's she was the mother of five children, she was sick and called that a 'knot on my womb' she went to a hospital for the 'black people'.The diagnosis of this vist was that she had a cervical cancer.Thanks to this cancer her cells coulds reproduce all the time.The scientists did not know much about the basic functionning of cells.They did not imagine that cells would be readily available.Until the 70's no one told the family that the Hela cells existed.It allowed very important medical advances such as vaccines (polio) an dmany other.They didn't know too much about Henrietta.During the period of Jim Crow black people situation was very difficult.This story can educate those who didn't know and didn't have much information of the story.The first immortal human cell growing culture are still alive today even if Henrietta has been dead for more than sixty years.IN her book Rebecca Skloot shows us the dark history of experimentation on African Americans.The pregnant idea of this book is the medical advances but more how the black people were treated.To my opinion, even if I just worked on some parts and even if I don't read the whole book, I really like the story (although it was terrible) and what it represents.Moreover it's very good intention to write a book on Henrietta's life because she is totally unknown.Admittedly we know the progress of science, we know that Hela cells helped the scientists but knows Henrietta Lacks.This book was appreciated by many people; it proves that it's interesting, I also think that Rebacca Skloot was very attached to this story, she worked a very long time on it, and the publication of this book is the way to show that this kind of story exists. It's a personal satisfaction.