The Immortal life of henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot | Teen Ink

The Immortal life of henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

January 15, 2015
By marinedgd BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
marinedgd BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks was written by Rebecca Skloot 4 years ago and published in Febuary 2010. The book is comsed of 369 pages.

This book shows us about the story of Henrietta Lacks who was living during the Segregation. She has five children. In the 1950s , she has been diagnosticed a cervix cancer. She died one year later. George Gey is the doctor who found out about the HeLa cells. The HeLa cells is immortal cell line that came from Henrietta Lack's cells. They could be kept alive, so that is the big discovery in the medical research. It helped for research into cancer, polio vaccin and others.

Rebecca Skloot denounces the fact that during the segregation time black people were used as guinea pig. So, that explains we never heard about Henrietta Lacks since she was a black american woman.
Skloot did a decade of research about Henrietta's family.
It is through a poignant story that we discover the singular story of the Lacks family along with some unlawful practices of Science towards a dark-skinned, poor and unknow woman.
The book is narated by Rebecca Skloot who writes subtly making her book very interisting to read. No matter how old you are, where you live, what is your skin color, I think you will love thisd book.

The author created the Henrietta Lacks Fondation in 2010 before her book came out to financially help Henrietta's descendants. So when you purchase the book, most of the money will be given to the Lacks family.

Don't dissuade yourself to read the book because it's talking about science, you will be suprised! I recommend it!