Tides by Betsy Cornwell This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

This book features a college Freshman, Noah, and his adoptive younger sister Lo, who struggles with her weight. They're staying at their grandmother's house over the summer; she loves to tell them stories about the fantastical selkies, and selkie girls being captured. Noah has an internship with a scientist, and lands his sister with a job there, too. One day after work, Noah's jogging along the seashore and hears a splash--he dives in to save the girl who he thinks has fallen. Only she doesn't need saving. 

Noah and the girl, Mara, begin to talk (and fall in love)... and when it's time for Mara to go, she dives back into the ocean.

What's Mara's secret?

Tides is a book that I couldn't put down. Romance, mystery, mystical presences and fairytales (possibly) come true. A real family thrown into dangerous secrets.

Not only is this a great book, but its writer, Betsy Cornwell, was a columnist and Editor for Teen Ink! How cool is that!?!

Ray--yoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 7, 2015 at 2:13 am
Hey I've seen Betsy C. on our newsletteers, really cool!

Clary_FrayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Goodness! I accidentally said "was an editor" and I meant she is!

Ray--yoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 17, 2015 at 8:44 am
Haha these things happen :)

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 2, 2015 at 9:51 am
Yes! First off, I want to apologize that I haven't been looking at your other writings and not commenting that much. I took a break from Teen Ink, but that's a poor excuse. For that, I apologize. :( But, I want to jump up and down and do cart-wheels. Your writing has an editor's choice and it's on the front page of Teen Ink home. I'm truly happy you because you truly deserve it. :) What I love about this is that you told a lot about the book, but not a lot that you ruined the surprise inside t... (more »)