The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman | Teen Ink

The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman

By twistytwizzlers BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
twistytwizzlers BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Newbery Medal Winners don't always automatically equal brilliant books in my eyes. I've read quite a few, and some of them were rather disappointing. Whoever awarded The Midwife's Apprentice, by Karen Cushman, the Newbery Medal, definitely made a wise choice.

Nestled in the dung heap often sleeps a child, called Brat. Even Brat is mystified about who her parents are and even how old she is. When Jane the Midwife takes in Brat, christened Beetle, and then Alyce, as her apprentice, the girl finally has enough food to eat and a roof over her head (though she says it isn't as warm as the dung heap). Alyce slowly learns more under the sharp and somewhat cruel tutelage of Jane the Midwife, and begins to develop ideas about who she is and what she wants.

The Midwife's Apprentice is humor melded with poignancy. Alyce does everything from threatening to turn the swaggering village boys into women with a "potion" that's really just cordial, to saving the life of an orphan boy called Runt, who she names Edward. Alyce is shy and obedient, yes, but her streak of defiance brings her to life and made me smile many a time. I read, entranced by her triumphs and her failures, never losing interest in such an engaging character.

And then there was the mouthwatering setting. I'm not sure if Karen Cushman's depiction of medieval life was accurate, but while I was reading, I didn't care. The rich descriptions of the flowers blooming or the seasonal changes is guaranteed to make you salivate. All the odd, quirky characters that make up the village, from the meaty bully Grommet to the unfaithful baker, feel authentic enough to cite the book as a factual account of medieval life. While being wildly entertaining.

Without giving away anything, the ending is perfect. All wrapped up in a pretty bow, ready to be ripped open by the next enthusiastic reader that picks it up.

The Midwife's Apprentice is a funny, touching story of a girl's journey from poverty to happiness.