The Selection by Kiera Cass | Teen Ink

The Selection by Kiera Cass

December 14, 2014
By JustTheGirlnextDoor SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
JustTheGirlnextDoor SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

  Books, as Karl Lagerfeld said, “are a hard-bound drug with no danger of an overdose.” Kiera Cass’s The Selection is nothing less. It only took one try, one page, and I was hooked - unable to escape a world I’d never imagined and clinging desperately to every word. The Selection, a dystopian young adult novel, is a heartbreakingly beautiful read, and is nothing short of a masterpiece.
  When her name is called and broadcast across the screens of a post-depression and war ravaged nation, America Singer's life changes in more ways than she could ever imagine. Leaving what little she has behind—including a broken family, and her forbidden lover, Aspen—America is then thrust into the world of The Selection, an event that merges Hunger Games-reaping like fate with the competition styles of The Bachelor as women from different castes compete for the crown and prince. As she's thrown into the game, she has only one wish: stay as long as she can so her struggling family can eat well and get their compensation checks. But as America begins to truly understand Prince Maxon beyond the image he shows on screen, she finds herself questioning whether she had already discovered her true love before the Selection, or if he had yet to be found.
  The Selection is brilliantly written, with strong dialogue, and well-drawn characters and plot lines. America is our perfectly flawed heroine. She’s head-strong and outspoken, kind and compassionate, honest and humble, traits that prevail throughout the novel. Unlike the other girls, America isn’t swept away in the world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels, but rather stays true to herself, never losing sight of who she is or where she came from. Aspen is passionate, devoted, and proud, desperately in love with America and wanting only what’s best for her. Throughout the story, Aspen struggles with his conscience and his heart. Prince Maxon is charming, brave, and compassionate, a thoroughly endearing character.
  Part of what makes The Selection so intriguing and fascinating is that it is very different from other dystopian novels. A common theme found in most, if not all, dystopian books is that the protagonist rebels against the oppressive /controlling society and its leaders. The Selection is not at all like that. In America’s world, there’s a great deal of gray, blurring lines between good and bad. Such an element makes The Selection a much more realistic depiction of real life, and brings to light the fact that people cannot be labeled simply as “good” or “bad,” that it is much more complicated than that.
  The Selection is a quick and delightful read. It flows remarkably well, with every chapter leaving readers wanting more. The Selection is the perfect blend of romance, elegance, intrigue, fast-paced action, and suspense, a combination of all the ingredients needed for a perfect book. Teens will fall in love and stay in love with this stunning, unbelievably wonderful story from the first page to the last.