If I Stay by Gayle Forman | Teen Ink

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

By _genevieve116_ BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
_genevieve116_ BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

?      Death isn't something someone chooses. Or at least, it shouldn't be. But the protagonist of Gayle Forman's If I Stay is faced with only with this one dreaded choice. A single decision means life or death, and this struggle makes the book a wonderful portrayal of love, loss, and sacrifice. Published in 2009, this young adult fiction novel has been captivating teens for years. Opening Forman's bestseller will take readers on a thrilling journey with 17-year-old Mia Hall,and it is guaranteed that this book will stay with them in an impressive way long after the lastpage has been turned.
     Within the bestseller, Forman creates a remarkable plot brimming with emotion. On an average snowy day, Mia Hall and her mom, dad, and brother are on their way to visit their grandparents, taking advantage of closed schools. When one moment the family is listening to classical music on the road, and the next Mia’s orphaned in a horrific crash, her world is drastically changed. In critical condition at the hospital, and having an out-of-body experience, Mia must face a decision that successfully evokes sorrow and apprehension in the audience. She can choose to stop fighting for her life to be with her family. Mia, however, can also resolve to stay alive, waking up with the knowledge that her life will never be what it previously was. With only her cello and loved ones to guide her, Mia must use her past to confront her future. 

The characters in If I Stay are infused with exceptional personalities, making them no longer fictional, but people in the real world. The protagonist, Mia Hall, has an outstanding combination of traits, making her a someone to be loved, and one readers empathize with. One of these brilliant traits is vulnerability. As she goes through her journey over the course of this novel, she becomes vulnerable to her emotions, memories, and those around
her. She is also extremely passionate. Mia has a love for classical music; her cello is her escape from the world. Mia is also very affectionate towards Adam, her boyfriend, whom has helped her
mature greatly. Adam Wilde is another character that Forman distinctly and vibrantly describes. He is seen as the "perfect guy," and is a musician on the rise who loves Mia immensely. He was created in such a way that he conveys these emotions believably, and even though he seems so flawless, readers know he has human emotions of pain, loss, and love. With Mia's help, he evolves into a beautifully sensitive person, and he has the same effect on her. An additional major character is Kim Schien. This is Mia's best friend whom she has known for an extremely long time. Kim is characterized as outgoing, yet reserved when she has to be. She helps Mia through multiple struggles, both during the past, and in guiding Mia on whether or not to stay. The characters in If I Stay are formed in such an incredible way that they are immediately
brought to life.
    Throughout the course of the novel, many different writing styles are used, all of which are very interesting. The main method that was used was flashbacks. Every other chapter after the accident occurred, Mia remembers different things in her past that influence her ultimate decision. Each of these memories either correlates with the prior chapter, or the chapter to follow. This is a wonderful technique because it lets readers see her past and apply it to her thought process, not just having Mia explicitly state it. Another effective technique that is used by Forman is first person narration. The novel is narrated through the point of view of Mia Hall.Through this, readers get a true sense of what is going on inside of Mia's mind, but doesn't give everything away as well. Additionally, Mia is in state of denial, not admitting certain things to herself, which makes it an effective method. A final aspect of the novel which is extremely creative is that of marking each chapter with a time, rather than regular numbered or titled chapters. This creates a more believable scene. Realistically, Mia would not have her experience marked by different numbers or different titles; she would, however, measure these events in what the clock said. It also gives readers a fantastic sense of sequencing, because it shows how Forman is able to capture so much in such a short period of time. Forman’s writing style is both elegant and unique, as shown in the quote, “Besides, I still have no idea what I will decide, still have no clue how I would determine to stay or not so stay in the first place. Until I figure that out, I have to leave things up to the fates, or to the doctors, or whoever decides these matters when the decider is too confused to choose between the elevator and the stairs.” This individuality creates a strong novel which displays her talent astoundingly.
?     If I Stay is a truly astonishing book that is a definite read for teenagers today. It will come with no shock to know that the book has won numerous awards such as becoming #1 on both The New York Times and USA Today. These prestigious titles are ones that will be remembered by all those who read it, and have them contemplating the mysteries of death and the small gifts of life.  As Mia says, “Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.” This book is one that readers should absolutely choose to pick up, and will leave them wonderstruck and filled with awe.

SRN-1 said...
GREAT review!  I definitely need to read this book.