The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | Teen Ink

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

December 13, 2014
By sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
21 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss


The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
        Destiny is waiting to be discovered in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Santiago is a wandering shepherd, an outcast who rejected priesthood. He takes a life changing journey leading away from his homeland with only a herd of sheep, some paperback books, and a satchel of money. Santiago is on his way to fulfilling his fate. From his home in Spain to the Pyramids of Egypt, young Santiago makes pivotal decisions leading to his ultimate understanding of destiny, sacrifice, and life. Although you may be expecting a lengthy, drawn out book, this short but poignant novel will leave you teary-eyed and begging for more.
        Young Santiago always made his parents proud. He was schooled at a seminary and is ready to become a priest, a reliable job that is an honor to a child of a peasant family. That’s not the end of the story, though, for Santiago has wanted all his life to travel. He confronts his parents and tells them that he wants to see the world. In the morning, Santiago says his final farewell.
         Legendary novel The Alchemist is for readers of all ages. Although it isn’t present times, the conflicts Santiago faces are relatable to audiences of every century. This book is easily deceiving as a quick read, but don’t be fooled—the deep symbolism and heavy philosophy will keep you thinking for a long while. Delving into the genre of magical realism, Coelho creates a perfect blend of magic and reality so that even skeptics will be convinced that alchemy is real. A recurring dream sends Santiago searching for treasure and along the way he meets remarkable people, including an ancient king, an Englishman, and an alchemist. Coelho skillfully develops each character through dialogue and action, and each scene is paced to keep the reader engaged.
         Over the course of the story, Santiago grows with the turn of each page. He overcomes challenges that most would cower at, learning from his blunders and persevering. Santiago comes to life as Coelho enhances his personality to show itself as one of depth. One character is especially noteworthy-Fatima, Santiago’s true love. Their romance is one of trust and faith, although he has only known her for a few days. Their bond is apparent, though, when Fatima says farewell and Santiago leaves once again in search of promised treasure. “‘If I am really part of your dream, you’ll come back one day,’” Fatima tells him.
         Overall, The Alchemist is more than a heartwarming tale of a young boy following his dreams. It is an unforgettable journey drawn together in approximate a hundred pages, a book that changes lives forever. This highly acclaimed novel will keep you engaged from the first page to the last. You will travel with Santiago through the desert, breathless and eager for more. Can Santiago skirt death by turning himself into the wind in only three days? There’s only one way to find out. A permanent fixation on bestseller lists in Brazil, this novel is like no other. Settle in for this read and you’ll find yourself in search of an alchemist.


The author's comments:

Note: I apologize for any confusion; I am resubmitting my review under the category of "Reviews" instead of "Hot Topics." Thank you!