The freedom writers diary by Erin Gruwell | Teen Ink

The freedom writers diary by Erin Gruwell

By AbrilQuebrado BRONZE, Indianapolies, Indiana
AbrilQuebrado BRONZE, Indianapolies, Indiana

The Freedom Writers Diary/Erin Gruwell
292 pages, Broadway Books (October 12, 1999)
Non-Fiction 
  This story is about one determined teacher helping with class of 150 delinquent student’s success in school and in life. These are diaries of all the students and Mrs. Gruwell in their struggle and success throughout the school years.
Mrs. Gruwell is a new high School teacher, she’s aware that she will have a class of the students that the other teachers not want and are considering “un-teachable”. Her class is basically a dumping ground of student. The students in her class room are the kids that aren’t interested in school or in anything beside the gang violence and what other people think. One kid in the story, the ONLY white kid in that class is in terrified when he walks through the door of the class room. He’s confused as he sees all his friends going into the honor class and regular class while he’s in Mrs. Gruwell’s. Though the year there are several fights in her class rooms and in the school.   
After reading the whole book I learned that you can do anything if you set your mind to it even if you or someone doubts you. I found the book/diaries really interesting because the teens in the book could go to places that a lot of normal schools couldn’t do. For example they could go to Washington. I would recommend this book to teenagers if they are having trouble in school and in their personal life’s. I really liked this book because it’s not a hard read but it’s a bit more on the easy side to understand. Something I would change in the book if I could would be to name the people writing the diaries, it’s confusing when reading to understand who‘s writing it.    
In conclusion this book is interesting, emotional, and one of a kind. This book felt me with a lesson to try my hardest in school.  So this book is about 150 students and teacher that ALL end up being successful in school and in life.