The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck | Teen Ink

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

By AlexMindfreak BRONZE, West Windsor, New Jersey
AlexMindfreak BRONZE, West Windsor, New Jersey

Hi

“Many people lose the small joys in the hope for the big happiness”
– The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck

This passage is just a simple statement which provides a feeling which everyone experiences. When people want something new or something that makes them happy, they lose small things which brought happiness. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, shows that in the story of a poor farmer named Wang Lung, in order to get more land or more money, you lose that personal connection that made you happy with you had originally. In the story, you follow Wang Lung and his wife O-Lan on their roller coaster ride they experience. They have their high and they have their low moments in the story.
The details in the quote is very precise and to the point. They show what greed can do to a man. Greed can buy them what they want, but it is never enough and they have to pay a price and most of the time, that means their happiness. When Wang Lung wanted to buy more land, he said that it wasn’t enough for him, so he bought more and more and more. He didn’t realize it, but once he bought more land, he lost the connection he had with his first piece of land which brought him to where he is now.
The purpose of this quote was to have Wang Lung realize what he is giving up in order to get something he seems is better. A perfect example is when Wang Lung goes out with his uncle to “live the high life” at a dinner and then a performance by dancers. Wang Lung falls in love with the dancer and wants her to be his second wife.  

Maybe that is mans downfall, greed takes away happiness.

It is about the meaning of a quote from the book The Good Earth