The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima | Teen Ink

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

By timzbo2018 GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas
timzbo2018 GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas

It's Lonely on the Top

In a world of fantasy with wizards, queens, natives, and thugs people don’t always get along.  The native born people of the clans keep the wizards on a tight leash. The wizards are enraged at the clans for limiting their supply to magical ammunition.  Meanwhile, street thief Han Alister and Clan child Fire Dancer, come across some under aged wizards in the Spirit mountains –somewhere forbidden to wizards. They scared the wizards off but the leader of these young wizards left behind a powerful looking amulet. Princess heir, Raisa, is stressed about her coming name day.  She will turn 16 and then legally be able to marry.  Her parents want to rush her into a political marriage when all she wants is love.
I thought this book was amazing.  I couldn’t put it down.  The constant cliffhangers at the end of every chapter, hopeless love affairs, and action-packed battles make this book one of the best books I’ve ever read.  The book is split up into two narrators: Raisa and Han.  I found this annoying in the most positive way.  Every time something unsuspected happens it switches to the other person! These cliffhangers caused me to not be able to put the book down. The story line is great even though it sounds a bit familiar.
This book kicks off immediately with action.  Former ganglord Han Alister is reported as a cold-blooded thief and murderer.  Deep down Han just needed to get him and his poor family by.  The first part of the book includes Han’s staying with the Clans and going hunting and finding wizards all in the first couple of chapters.  On Raisa’s side of the story it describes her trouble in court, her stress of her approaching name day when she comes, and all the people trying to cozy up to her just because she is the princess heir.  All Raisa wants to have some real friends who legitimately care for her interests.
Even though this may sound like your generic, story Cinda Williams Chima has managed to weave it into a fantastic story which includes: magic, princesses, guards, queendoms, and a considerable amount of love.  I’ve read this entire series and I would recommend to any person who likes fantasy books like Harry Potter, love stories, or books with action on every page.  Just when you think thing has linked together, it all separates leaving for a killer cliffhanger that makes you want to read the next book, and then the next book, and then the whole series!
This book includes page after page of action, just the right amount of romance, and a hefty dose of suspense. I believe any teen would enjoy this book, or anyone who feels they have to live up to someone’s expectations or fill big shoes. So I recommend this book to everyone. I hope you enjoy!