The Chosen | Teen Ink

The Chosen

September 28, 2014
By singoutloud BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts
singoutloud BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 The Chosen, a fiction novel written by Chaim Potak, is about two young Jewish boys and their friendship. Reuven Malter and Danny Saunders grow up in different environments and backgrounds, but they somehow manage to relate to each other on a very deep level. They became open to diverse perspectives because of their relationship.  Danny grew up with an extreme religious view on life, whereas Reuven was brought up to think for himself and be open to different opinions about life. The book has many themes that give the reader insight into what it means to be humans. One idea is the concept of  raising your child in silence. Another important theme is the difference between being chosen and choosing.


 Danny Saunders grew up in silence. His father, Reb Saunders, was brought up in that way and so it was all he knew. The concept was that silence leads to finding the right words that come from the soul. Reb Saunders knew his son was brilliant but he worried he lacked empathy. He expected Danny to be a tzaddik, a pious man, like he was. He knew that to be a leader of a congregation you need to feel the suffering of others. So Reb Saunders made the decision to raise his son in silence. He wanted Danny to explore his own soul and feel for others. This type of upbringing both helped and hurt Danny. Being raised in silence made him lonely and suffocated him. On one hand it made him resent Judaism and rebel against his family. However it was that rebellion that helped him find what he truly wanted. Reb Saunders understood the effect of his silence and we see in the end of the book that he had deep regrets. This approach of raising children is extreme but the ideology behind it is brilliant. Sometimes we can have long conversations in which we talked and talked but said nothing. Silence is as meaningful in a relationship as words but we don't realize that fact. We have to use speech in the right way and in the right measure. Sometimes we need to feel the quiet so we can think and meditate. An absence of words can create peace of mind. Words are powerful and we can't abuse that power.


 Another theme is expressed through the title. It's called The Chosen. The Jewish people are the chosen people but did we actually choose? Freedom of choice is a tricky ordeal. We are born with certain predispositions and expectations. Danny was brought into the world with a mission already given to him by his father. He didn't have a choice in the matter. He was to become the next Tzaddik and lead the Jews in his congregation. He had a destiny that he didn't want. Reuven was born into a free thinking family. He became a Rabbi in the end of the book because it was what he wanted not because he was forced into the position. As Jews we need to face the fact that although we didn't consciously choose to be Jewish, our souls chose this destiny many years ago. All the characters in the book were born Jewish and they all dealt with it in a different way. Reb Saunders took it as a responsibility. He felt his purpose was to lead the Jews and teach them Torah. David Malter looked at being Jewish as a rich culture that provided an ethical way of living. Reuven looked at Judaism as something beautiful and meaningful. Lastly, Danny looked at it as a heavy burden that he wasn't really interested in carrying. Freedom of choice is something every individual struggles with. It would be easier if we were all robots but having free will makes life more meaningful and true. The Jews are the luckiest people in the world. We have an inherent identity and we have to choose what we want to do about it.


 In conclusion, The Chosen has many themes and lessons that can teach us so much. Reb Saunders raised Danny in silence and that made him the man he became. It gave him the strength to search his soul and figure out what he wanted. Furthermore, the narrative makes us realize that the question of choice is really a question of response. How do we respond to the cards that we are dealt? We pave the path we walk on.