the hunger games by suzanne collins | Teen Ink

the hunger games by suzanne collins

September 18, 2014
By elissa baum BRONZE, Moncks Corner, South Carolina
elissa baum BRONZE, Moncks Corner, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Hunger Games
In The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, there are 12 districts also called Panem. They are controlled by a capital. Every year they pick 1 boy and 1 girl and there are 24 people who fight to the death so only 1 is standing. In district 12 the one girl they choose is Prim Everdeen, but her sister, Katniss Everdeen, volunteers for her. The one boy is Peeta Mellark who works as a baker for his dad.  They have to go to the capital and fight against the other 22 people. What would happen if they would outsmart the capital?  The Hunger Games does not fit in the utopian category. This book is certainly dystopian.
This novel is clearly dystopian. There is a figure head, President Snow who controls everyone. The natural world is banished from the citizens, because they can’t go behind the fence in district 12 that leads the woods (natural world). Citizens live in a dehumanized state because they can’t do certain things because it’s against rules. They also use propaganda. For example the messages they say about the reaping is a type of propaganda because they say it’s an honor to be chosen but really it’s not.
In some debates people would say The Hunger Games would be utopia. They could be true because the districts give them protection from anything from the outside world to animals etc. Some people can say this is utopian but it is clearly dystopian. This is because it fits most or all dystopian characteristic of a dystopian novel. That would not be a utopia because it’s not a perfect world. There is a figure head. They live in a dehumanized state. The natural world is banished. Finally, they use propaganda. The Hunger Game is dystopian, even if they could argue its utopia.