The Outsiders Should Be Included In The Literacy Canon | Teen Ink

The Outsiders Should Be Included In The Literacy Canon

September 15, 2014
By Andrea Brannam BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan
Andrea Brannam BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Literary Canon Board of Directors,

I am writing this letter because I think that the Outsiders should be included into the literary canon because its just like real life. Also another reason is because it covers why bullying shouldn’t be in school. My last reason is why violence shouldn't be around.

The first reason I believe The Outsiders should be included in the literary canon is because it shows how real life is, as in they have two groups the greasers and the socs. The greasers are the poor and the socs are like the rich. Another example is they make sure that they are never alone, like they stay in a group to make sure they are safe. My last example is they make sure they are all responsible, when they go to school they go together. When they get in trouble they are together.

 

The second reason is it covers why bullying shouldn't be in school because the socs kill pony boy and its not fair because he never did anything to get killed. When the socs girlfriends sets up the greasers to go on a date and they get the greasers jumped. The last example is when Boo Radley sets up pranks in the trees and sets traps out. Its not right it makes the kids scared to go to school.

The final reason is it covers why violence shouldn't be around because the socs push pony boy into the fountain and hurt him for no reason. No one deserves to get pushed into a fountain. My next example is when the greasers get beat up for being at the park but the socs. The greasers should be able to go to the park without getting picked on. The last example is when pony boy falls asleep at the park and the socs mess with him there. He fell asleep because he got beat up and couldn't go anywhere.

 

As you can see, The Outsiders is deserving of the literary canon because when pony boy gets killed and the greasers get picked on by the socs. In my eyes its not fair to just sit there and get picked on and bullied your whole life. Everyone is different, No one is the same.


I hope that you will consider this choice for the literary canon. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Andrea B.