Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn | Teen Ink

Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn

August 31, 2014
By LivingTheDr3Am DIAMOND, Bedford, New York
LivingTheDr3Am DIAMOND, Bedford, New York
53 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack."


“She’s out. Cate’s out.”

These four words stop sixteen-year-old Jamie Henry dead in his tracks. Crazy Cate got sent to a juvenile detention center two years ago after setting fire to a horse barn. A neighborhood girl was still in critical condition after running in to save her horse. Before arson, Cate did a lot of terrible things, such as stealing, drinking, and playing mind games with other children deep in the woods where nobody could find them. Jamie never understood Cate’s actions, even though she was his own sister. Along with the rest of the town, Jamie breathed a deep sigh of relief after seeing his sister get locked away…

 

…until now. Cate is finally out, and she’s coming back. For Jamie.

 

Cate has had a lot of time to think about what happened on the day of the fire. Now, she is consumed by only one thought: she has to tell Jamie the truth. He deserves to know the troubling secrets of their rocky past. But sometimes the truth can hurt so much more than the lie…