The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

By Anemonemmy12 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
Anemonemmy12 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

"Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything is possible again. You live in the moment. You die in the moment. You take it all one day at a time" ~Legend by Marie Lu

Jonas is chosen as the new receiver of memories, an extremely honorable position. Lois Lowry, author of The Giver, creates a world with no emotion, color, and music, where the people of the community are not free to make their own decisions. When each group of children turns twelve years old, they are given their Assignment. Jonas's Assignment is receiving memories of the past, of memories before the communities has formed. As Jonas discovers more memories, he also discovers many secrets that the community has kept from him.

In the beginning of The Giver, the voice of the story was bland, but as it progressed, the voice became more filled with emotion. I think that reading from ages nine through eleven would find this book interesting. The Giver is set in a vey interesting world, while reading, I enjoyed learning more about the setting. Lois Lowry's writing in this novel is sometimes confusing, but I believe that this adds onto the effect of it. The complex society of The Giver takes a huge role, it adds much conflict with Jonas and restricts other characters from doing other things as well

The Giver has a plot that is easy to understand. It was not difficult to figure out what was going on, although the story did contain shocking plot twists. The place in which the story is set is very intriguing and is unlike anything else that I've read about. I feel that this book the theme or lesson across very well, it was clear what Lois Lowry intended to teach the readers. I greatly enjoyed the characters in The Giver. In my opinion, Jonas was a fantastic main character and protagonist. He is used to living in a perfect world, and once he finds the secrets of the community, everything changes for him, and I loved reading about his reactions. The Giver (the previous receiver of memories) is also a character that I found myself favoriting while reading. The Giver is very wise and helps Jonas with his receiving. The bond between Jonas and the Giver was beautiful, because very few people have the abilities that a Receiver should have, and Jonas was almost like a son to the Giver. Most of the other characters in the story are very similar to one another. All of the side characters did not have real emotion and just went along with living as they were taught.

During the time of when I was read The Giver, I found that, at first, the narrator was not emotional. When the plot got more emotional, the voice changed, it became more interesting to read. As the the story went on, it gradually began to express more pain and love. I believe that this was a great way to portray the story, it somewhat symbolized exactly what Jonas went through.

The Giver is a simple book to read, but I think that I could be enjoyable by anyone. The vocabulary would be almost too easy for teenagers and above. People around the ages of nine through eleven would most likely have fun reading this book the most. Although I think that this book is for young people, some situations did not explain exactly what was going on. Occasionally, an event would take place, but. There would not be a detailed explanation of it. In these situations, some children may not understand the meaning of what had happened.

Something that I liked in The Giver was how everything was set up. Lois Lowry did a fantastic job organizing the way the plot flowed easily. I was also really interested by the setting. The Giver takes place in the future after they decided that the world was better off without real emotion. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a unique story.