Twilight by Erin Hunter | Teen Ink

Twilight by Erin Hunter

By Ian Lee BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Ian Lee BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Twilight, by Erin Hunter, is packed with action, passion, and a surge for power may be brewing. The characters of this remarkable book are cats. Do not however, underestimate them because they can hunt, fight, and survive without humans or as they would say “twolegs”. In this story, cats fight for their territories, their feelings, and their ancestors of Starclan. Cats fall in love, kits are born, leaders rise, and somehow it feels too good. Somewhere out there, an enemy lurks, ready to strike. This describes how the cats are adjusting to their new lifestyle. Erin Hunter, author of Twilight, is taking this book past the normal standards.

Firstly, the series, called Warriors, is very intriguing. Starting with titles, to prologues, and even just plain old writing, Hunter always manages to glue the book to your fingers. The cover of the book is also very shiny and will make you see it even in the darkest cave. The artwork is very beautiful. It is not a cut and paste thing that some authors accomplish, she spends her time getting an artist and telling the artist what she wants. The other thing she includes are her reviews, which are usually, or always positive. I cannot stress how much time she seems to put into each and every book that shows it face in Borders.

Secondly, Twilight starts with all the clans as friends and helping each other. The medicine cats, kind of like cat doctors, are overwhelmed with work, scrapes, thorns in the paw, and they are frantically looking for healing herbs. The leaders of the four clans, Thunderclan, Windclan, Shadowclan, Riverclan, are secretly talking about what to do and where to find camps. Meanwhile the medicine cats are thinking about the Moonstone, where they share tongues with Starclan (grooming each other). The leaders decide to send out the four cats that went to the Sun-Drowned Place to go and scout out the land. They end up traveling around the lake and finding a decent place for each of the four clans. Encountering many dangers, they come back with a report. Later, the Windclan leader dies of old age and a new leader is elected. Following that, cats have illegal love, friends betray each other, and trouble is brewing.

Thirdly, Twilight is a masterpiece of art, better than Vincent van Gogh, Leonardo da Vinci, and all those other artists who attempted painting or sculpting. Without opening the cover, it does not look that splendid. However if you bother to flip the pages it will express to you how grand it really is. In my opinion this is a wonderful novel with tons of action and feeling that jabs you in your heart and stays there. While reading the book, I was stunned by how much emotion is communicated in the writing. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat with your heart pacing so frantically that you may need to go to doctor's for a check up.

All in all, Twilight just explodes your mind when reading. Whether it is with action or a serious beginning. Erin always pulls it off with just her style. Always making it seem like you are actually watching it with all the cats hissing and slashing with their claws and teeth. If you ever become the reader of this book you will discover what will happen when you read the book. Not the characters, but you. You will think of your lazy fat cat like nothing before. Instead you might picture a lean, mean, fighting machine in its place. Who knows, you may just let your cat go to become a warrior and battle off other cats or badger. So, I really give this a strong nine out of ten claws, with ten as the greatest.

Blank said...
on Mar. 4 2010 at 9:27 am
I've read this book a lot, but I still want to read it again because this review is so good.

spinningskies BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
this was a great series!

xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

It is constructive. And true, I mean... you're comparing this B O O K C O V E R to Leonardo da Vinci? It IS ridiculous. It suggests this person has little artistic taste... I mean the least you owe to Van Gogh and Leonardo da Vinci, who spent years on one peice of work rather than this person who probably spent a total of a month for the entire book, is respect.

That aside, I really think you are idealizing the book a bit too much. I agree it's an interesting idea- cat clans, with powers and stuff. But seriously, the 'clan against clan' and 'prophecy' stuff has been taken again and again. This is just tweaked a bit. The writing isn't especially great either.

Emibear said...
Emibear, Los Angeles, California

At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.

This is a really good series! The idea of talking cats might freak you out at first but honestly, you'll be on the edge until the very end.

writer201 said...
wow debaser........u r so rude.... can't u read! only constructive coments!!!!!!! i personally think this a wonderful peace of writing!!

wow, at first i thought it was twilight as in SM twilight, and i was like, oh not again, but got curious. sounds like a gud read, i have much to learn, show me the way of your people.

erinzombie BRONZE, Dunbartonshire, Other

"The cure for death itself. The answer is immortality. By creating a legacy, by living a life worth remembering, you become immortal. "

@Marty C. this is NOT vampire, uber commerical, stephanie meyer 'twilight'! this is a different book entirely. If you read the review you'd know that.

this isn't stephanie meyers twlight this erin hunter. Completely different thing altogether. It's a book about CATS not VAMPIRES.

Twi-hard66 said...
how can you not ebjoy twiligh. it is a love triangle between a girl, a vampire, and a werwolf.

JulianaB. GOLD said...
JulianaB. GOLD, Chickasha, Oklahoma

'I understand now what you wanted all along, you want me to embrace your pain and suffering. If you really have to fight, it's the least I can do.'

Me too! They are some of the best books Ive ever read.

JulianaB. GOLD said...
JulianaB. GOLD, Chickasha, Oklahoma

Ive read all of the Warriors books and I love them! And by the way this is not the Twilight with vampires this is the Twilight with cats. Although I do love both.

fuzzball said...
Alright guys, listen. This is NOT Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. It is a different Twilight. READ the title before you comment.

Good job, and I agree, it's a great book.

Debaser GOLD said...
Debaser GOLD, Marlboro, Vermont
"Thirdly, Twilight is a masterpiece of art, better than Vincent van Gogh, Leonardo da Vinci, and all those other artists who attempted painting or sculpting."

Sorry, but no. That claim is a little ridiculous.

Debaser GOLD said...
Debaser GOLD, Marlboro, Vermont
Twilight is over-hyped, badly-written, commercial teenage beach-literature.

Singer4life said...
nice job :]

how come u get 2 b the #1 4 so long? well ur reveiw is awsome lol.

aamber said...
I haven't read the book, but the movie, in my opinion, wasn't all it was built up to be...

Hello said...
Hello,

Overall, great review! It makes me want to read the book again! However, next time check your facts...Erin Hunter is a pen name and the book is written by 3 authors...

jay-dub said...
This was a great one, What a well written review. This makes me want to read the book...I think I will :)

Weightless2015 GOLD, Roselle, Illinois

"Dream with my eyes open, sleep when I'm dead, love who my heart's chosen, and conquer what lies ahead." -Ryan Follese (lead singer of Hot Chelle Rae)

I LOVE the Warriors series.

hannahm. said...
on Feb. 2 2009 at 1:47 am
Erin Hunter is actually a pen-name. The books are written by multiple people.