Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast | Teen Ink

Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

Life as we have known it has always been the same. Everyone was 100% human and no mutants or monsters have truly ever existed. Yet what if that was to change? What if one monster existed hand in hand with human life all along. And what if that monster was a vampire? In this series vampire are known as vampyres, and are easy to recognize by the sapphire outline of a crescent moon marked on their forehead. Even though they exist side by side, humans are scared of the vampyre, which causes unneeded trouble between the groups. The sad part is? No one knows whose humans and who’s not until someone gets marked.

For Zoey Redbird it was just an ordinary day of school. Trying to avoid her almost-boyfriend Heath, and listen to her best friend Kayla babbles. Yet when a Maker appears in front of her locker marking Zoey as a vampyre, her whole life has to change. Having to leave home and her school Zoey travel’s to the House of Night, a school which was made for young vampyre called fledgling in order for them to help survive the change. As soon as Zoey got there she knew she was different, as her mark was colored in where everyone else had it as an outline. Befriending the outcast group, Zoey quickly get on the bad side with the most popular, beautiful and leader of a powerful group who goes by Aphrodite; who has the power to see the future. It does not help that Zoey and Aphrodite ex-boyfriend Erik have eyes for only each other. Yet when Zoey since the group might be up to no good, Zoey and her friends must do something to stop them. Zoey might have to reveal her gifts that the goddess gave her in order to do it.

P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast co-wrote this entire series together. As this book is the first out of twelve, I think she did a pretty good job. Although most of it was introduced to the character, giving them names and background history. She started off naming a big problem of Aphrodite, made Zoey different by her special powers, and started a series long issue by making Zoey see “them” but not telling anyone, and adding in the love story of Erik and by finishing the book right after the climax. The writing is good; you cannot even tell that there are two authors writing it. Overall a great read and one I will defiantly continue.

Another story about vampires?At least this one is decent!

BeautyWhispers PLATINUM, Nevada City, California

Be Yourself, Be Unique, Be Me. :) - By BeautyWhispers

Love he review and the book series!!!! :):)