The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This past summer I read the book The Fault in Our Stars, written by John Green. This book was very well written and I enjoyed reading it a lot. The details were great and the author used many descriptive words. The genre is romance. There are many characters, but the two main ones are Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters. The setting is present-day Indianapolis, Indiana and Amsterdam.

Hazel Grace Lancaster is sixteen years old and was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer at age thirteen. Her cancer spread to her lungs. They filled up with liquids making it hard for her to breathe. She carries an oxygen tank around. Hazel’s mother and doctor insist that she is depressed so they send her to a children’s cancer support group. The support group meets together every Wednesday at an Episcopal Church. Hazel hates support group, but one day she meets Augustus Waters. Augustus water was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma a year and a half ago, he is seven-teen. Hazel likes Augustus and Augustus likes Hazel. The two begin to hang out and they give each other their favorite books. Hazel’s favorite book is An Imperial Affliction and Augustus’s favorite book is The Prince of Dawn. Both Augustus and Hazel love the book and the author, Peter Van Houten. They really want to meet him, but he lives in Amsterdam and it would be extremely expensive for them to travel there. Augustus has a solution to their problem. Every child that is diagnosed with a life-threatening cancer is given a wish and Augustus never used his. Hazel had already used hers. In the beginning of May, Augustus, Hazel, and Hazel’s mother traveled to Amsterdam. The city is beautiful. Hazel and Augustus went out on a romantic dinner at Oranjee, a Dutch restaurant. The next day they visit Peter Van Houten. Peter is not at all what they were expecting. He is a rude man with a drinking problem. Hazel and Augustus are very disappointed because Van Houten didn’t answer any of their literacy questions. The next day Hazel can tell something is wrong with Augustus. He tells her that his cancer came back and it spread all over his body. Read the story to find out what happens to Augustus and Hazel.