The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

August 14, 2014
By Cameron_Canda BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Cameron_Canda BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Giver is a science fiction book by Lois Lowry. The book takes place in the "perfect" society, where everything is run in order and neatness. Pain levels stay at a low all of the time and flaws go unnoticed and are hidden beneath the covers. With many questions un-answered you would wonder why things are the way it seems.
Jonas (the protagonist) is a simple-minded 11 year old boy who takes acts carefully, whether it be language or education. He's always been fascinated with the outside world and the unknown. Lily is his younger sister who is well-informed and is efficient. His father is a kind hearted and playful person who works with kids. He enjoys his job, but takes it seriously. His Mother is also efficient and will give advice to Jonas about the fears of growing up. Jonas has been anticipating the ceremony of twelve, which is when he finds out what his job assignment is.
The way Jobs are assigned, is it goes according to what you're capable of doing the best. With Jonas's certain set of skills, he becomes The Receiver, one of the most honorable jobs in the community. The Giver is the job of passing all the information from the past generations of Receivers/Givers and using it as wisdom for the community. Jonas will now be the receiver of memories from the giver. He will learn the pain, suffering and dark secrets. After learning the memories from the giver he begins to wonder. Jonas wants to seek change.
Honestly, I don't read many books and mostly because they don’t spark my interest. But I'd have to say, this book was really good. It has a great storyline and written in great detail. I found myself fully interested with this book. I suggest that you take a look at the book and perhaps you will end up reading and enjoying it as much as I did.


The author's comments:
I don't read many books.