Halo (Halo 1) by Alexandra Adornetto | Teen Ink

Halo (Halo 1) by Alexandra Adornetto

July 29, 2014
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


Heaven and hell are places that few believe in. As no one knows what truly happens after death, no one can say that good people go to heaven, and bad ones go to hell. Where demons are supposed to be in hell, angles are supposed to be in heaven. But every now and then a demon or an angel is sent to earth on a mission. Weather it is to cause a war, or end one, one thing is for sure: you cannot create a relationship with the humans. Poor little Bethany though, she did not fully understand that rule.

Three angles were sent to a small town to bring back its faith in God. There was Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human. Bethany holds the point-of-view in this story and realizes soon that she is different than her siblings. Unlike her siblings, her feelings are stronger, she can feel pain, she can become tired, hunger and by ignoring these she can faint. Yet where Ivy job was to start charity groups, Gabriel became the hottest music teacher ever, Bethany became another student. Yet not able to form a relationship with others as her siblings instructed not to; Bethany realizes she can`t. You cannot go through high school without talking to someone. Bethany becomes friends with Molly on day one, and quickly develops a crush on the hottest unavailing guy there is: Xavier Woods. Yet when Xavier takes an interest in her, they both know it is more than lust. Yet this is not just a love story, Bethany and her siblings are there for a reason, and then the reason becomes apparent when “mysterious” accidents start happening around the school. Bethany needs to focus otherwise she’ll not only lose Xavier, but her friends as well.

Alexandra Adornetto did an okay job with this book one in the trilogy. She made Bethany into a character with some depth, and Xavier the copy-cat pretty boy with a troubled past. This was not a bad book, and it did have an interesting concept. But not a concept worth almost five hundred pages. The one part I truly hated was when Bethany and Xavier fought after the prom. The way he wouldn't even hear her out, and slammed the door in her face. You honestly wanted us to believe that Xavier was such a nice guy and that their love was real, he would really not see her after seeing a picture on Facebook? Really? Also the ending did not seem as if there was more to the story besides the bad guy`s “I’ll be back” speech. Yet this book demonstrated the power of love, and not even the powers of heaven can tear it apparent.


The author's comments:
Boring at some parts, but an interesting concept.