The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

July 26, 2014
By The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska
The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska
18 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And when you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche


This book is unforgettable. The emotion felt is incredible. The ending is heartbreaking, to the point of tears. Arguably the best book I have read.

This book is narrated by death. Although it sounds morbid, there is something beautiful about it. Death "only carries the children in his arms", which is such a touching statement. There are so many tender moments. So much love, friendship, pain, sadness, and yes, death. Bound together with the spectacular skill of the author and original characters that are so realistic, your heart will be broken by the emotions.

When the book thief steals her first book, she can't read it. It is the meaning behind it the makes it precious. Buckets full of meaning.

I read this book in one afternoon. A good sized book of about five hundred and fifty pages, that astonished me. I decided it must have been the excellence that prevented me from putting the book down. It is not exactly a light read either.

Although not action packed in any way, The Book Thief is one of the only books I have read that kept my attention through the whole thing. I would love to tell everything about this book, such as what exactly happened, what the characters are like, etc. I won't. I'll let you enjoy the beauty of this book and the pleasure of getting to know the characters. I would recommend this book to anyone.