The Secret Diamond Sisters by Michelle Madow | Teen Ink

The Secret Diamond Sisters by Michelle Madow

By alioramus GOLD, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
alioramus GOLD, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

“That reminds me of a puzzle…”
- Professor Layton

The Secret Diamond Sisters by Michelle Madow. Harlequin Books, 2014.

The sisters Savannah, Courtney, and Peyton never knew their father. The three lived with their mother and lived a rather tough life; their mom became a severe alcoholic. Then, when their mother is sent to rehab, the girls are sent to live with their mysterious father. On the journey to where their father lives, Las Vegas, the girls learn that he is the Adrian Diamond, the owner of an upscale hotel in Vegas. Not to mention, he’s also a millionaire. The Diamond sisters are quickly introduced to life as celebrities: credit cards, endless wardrobes, and access to Vegas’ finest clubs. But questions still remain: where was their father when they needed him years ago?

Overall, I find this an interesting read. Undeniably, it got me thinking about what it would be like to be a millionaire. The author does do a wonderful job of illustrating the city; bright lights, loud cars, crazy parties - I felt like I was sitting right in the middle of Las Vegas!
Looking back, I think there were several issues to improve on. The characters were all portrayed the same, no matter how they were planned to be depicted. It seemed like they were all the same person, only with different names. I honestly felt there wasn’t any evident mystery to “their past” as it outlines on the back of the book, thus crushing any chance of a legitimate climax.

In short, I didn’t find this a horrible book. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys being lost in a book and doesn’t think too critically. For me, I don’t think it was a perfect match, and that’s just my personal preference. For someone who loves realistic fiction, dressing up, makeup, and drama, this book would be great. I’d rate it 3/5 stars.