The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

May 28, 2014
By AlizaSarah BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
AlizaSarah BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves! - The Doctor


THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, a number one New York Times, Indie, and Wall Street Journal Bestseller as well as a USA Today Bestseller and a New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice book is being adapted to the big screen starting June sixth. This young adult novel written by author, YouTuber, and philanthropist John Green takes the heart of everyone who reads it. The book expresses the beauty of young love, hope, and dedication through the eyes of seventeen year old Hazel Grace Lancaster, a terminally ill cancer patient.
Hazel’s life revolved around her cancer treatment and long marathons of America’s Next Top Model until one fateful day in Support Group. Usually, on days when Hazel’s mom is able to convince her daughter to attend Support Group, Hazel spends the time exchanging small sighs with her friend, Isaac. They don’t think that Support Group offers much help, but they go anyway to please their parents. But this time it was different. Immediately, when Hazel walked into the therapy room, a new face caught her eye. Isaac then introduced the new face as Augustus Waters. As the kids go around the circle explaining their respective cancer diagnoses, Augustus says that he is in remission after battling Osteosarcoma, and that he is only at Support Group for Isaac.
Hazel immediately connects with Augustus as they debate whether or not oblivion is something to be feared, and soon Hazel goes home with Augustus to watch a movie. As Hazel and Augustus’s friendship grows, they each realize that they are in love with the other. Hazel decides to share her favorite book, An Imperial Affliction, with Augustus. He loves the book, and immediately contacts the author, Peter Van Houten. Although Hazel has never been able to connect with Van Houten, Augustus manages to. He finds out that Van Houten lives in Amsterdam, so he helps arrange a trip. Before they leave for the trip, Hazel knows that she could die anytime soon, so she doesn’t allow herself to completely open up to Augustus. Augustus doesn’t care that he would suffer if Hazel died, but she still doesn’t give in to him. Over the trip in Amsterdam, Hazel and Augustus share dinner and some unexpected moments with each other before Augustus gives Hazel some life-changing news. Hazel and Augustus know that when they return home, nothing will ever be the same again.
Green with have you at the edge of your seat as you laugh, cry, and cheer alongside Hazel and Augustus. You will not be able to forget Hazel and Augustus’s story long after you have read the final page of the book.
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS is a beautifully written novel appropriate for anyone in high school or older. Although Green originally intended his book to be read by young adults, it could easily be enjoyed by anyone. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in reading a wonderfully crafted, tear-jerking, love story. Augustus and Hazel’s love will be marked down as one of the most beautiful yet simple relationships to ever be written about.