Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

Peace and the ones that seek destruction. Mash us together and you get a dysfunctional society. In this book we humans are put into faction. There are six of them: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On your 16th year of life you get to go to a choosing ceremony where you chose which faction you want to be part of. Many chose the one they grew up in; others leave their family forever in hopes of a better life in a new faction. Some chose no faction and became our homeless people as a factionless. As the world is divided into six sections, you have act a certain way and look a certain way you as you are a part of these people. This makes it much harder when you do not fit in anywhere.

Beatrice Prior's is a small town Chicago girl lives with her parents and brother in the Abnegation faction. When her parents and brother love helping others and acting 100% selfless, Beatrice just wants the think about herself for once. At age sixteen she took a test to help her choose which faction she should go in. The results were inconclusive. This means that Beatrice is a divergent, someone who can fit into mutable faction and has a unique way of thinking. Beatrice has to choose to stay with her family or lead the life she wanted? The choice surprises everyone, including herself.

Soon Beatrice changes her name to Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Soon making friends, enemies and a love triangle Tris finds her new faction horrifying yet thrilling. As it is a race to the top Tris cannot help but feels something is off. As she discovers more secrets make more enemies Tris finds out whom her real friends are. Beatrice finds out who she really is and what it’s meant to be different than the rest.

Veronica Roth did an amazing job with the book. Tris is loveable, strong yet still a tiny little girl who everyone wants to protect. The story idea is just fantastic and makes you read well into the night. I hate to say this, but as many have it is very similar to the Hunger Games. The writing and storyline are completely different it’s just that little thought on the back of your brain that connects the two books together. It is a well writing book making the big screens on March 21, 2014. I recommend this book to everyone since it is truly wonderful.

I loved this book! The story line is a classic, and no where near anything like the Hunger Games. The movie on the other hand, not so great.