All the Truth That’s in Me by Julie Berry | Teen Ink

All the Truth That’s in Me by Julie Berry MAG

By JordanButt BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
JordanButt BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Individuals who are interested in horrifying, moving, depressing books should consider reading All the Truth That’s in Me by Julie Berry.

Beginning this book with a young girl’s thoughts is excellent. This tactic engaged me and made me feel like I was on the edge of my seat. However, as I kept reading, I felt that the story was getting longer and longer, and I struggled to find time to finish it. Although the conclusion was heart-breaking and tear-wrenching, I was upset with the way it ended.

My thoughts on this book may be very different from the majority of teens who read it. Personally, I did not enjoy it because it was incredibly ambiguous and challenged my personal beliefs. Characters were everywhere, there was no distinct time or place, there were too many nameless characters, and the second-person narrative threw me for a loop. Because the characters are so scattered, it was difficult to understand who was speaking and what was going on. The chapters are incredibly short, and there are many fragmented sentences. As for my beliefs, I have always been taught to love others as I would like to be loved, and here Judith was shunned by her entire town, including her family. I felt that was wrong and malicious.

All the Truth That’s in Me is known to be a fantastic, award-winning novel, however, I couldn’t get into it. This book is perfect for individuals who enjoy reading gruesome, heart-wrenching books. Depressing and violent, All the Truth That’s in Me is a book that teens should not consider reading.