Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By BLC2016 GOLD, Hanover, Michigan
BLC2016 GOLD, Hanover, Michigan

"I love books. I love that moment when you open one and sink into it. You can escape from the world, into a story that's way more interesting than your's will ever be." -Elizabeth Scott

If you want to read a good book, then pick up Divergent by Veronica Roth! Ever since it was published by HarperCollins in 2011, people have been raving about it. It is a riveting story about hard choices, secrets, and danger. Once you pick it up, you can't put it down. It sucks you in and you connect with the characters, whether you expect to or not. The main character, Beatrice, or Tris for short, goes through an exciting journey and you get to follow her all the way.

Veronica Roth is the author of not only Divergent, but Insurgent and Allegiant as well. She was born on August 19, 1988 in New York. Although not born there, she was raised in Barrington, Illinois. She is the youngest of 3 children and her parents got a divorce when she was young. Veronica's family history is quite interesting. Her mother's parents were survivors of a concentration camp. She went to high school at Barrington High School. After a year at Carleton College, she decided to switch to Northwestern University where she finished her degree in creative writing. In 2011, Veronica got married to Nelson Fitch, a photographer. They now live in Chicago.

Veronica Roth's passion for writing is apparent in her book. You get to follow Tris through and emotional roller coaster and you feel every bit of it. She lives in a future version of Chicago. There are five factions, or groups, that people can choose from to live in. They are Abnegation, Tris' original faction, Dauntless, Amity, Erudite, and Candor. On their sixteenth birthday, all kids must choose which group to join. They are put in a simulation that will tell them which faction fits them best. Unfortunately for Tris, she gets more than one answer. That makes her Divergent. She is told that she can't tell anyone. Beatrice can't let anyone know that she is different, so she continues through the Choosing Ceremony as normal. To find out which faction she chooses, you will have to read the book. In her chosen faction, Beatrice meets a boy named Four, who may also be Divergent. They must keep their secret and also save the factions and their people from a ruthless leader. No one can be trusted and no one is safe.

I recommend Divergent highly. It is ideal for someone who likes dystopian novels. Divergent is based around a new form of living gone wrong. There are dangerous leaders and the threat of death if you can't be controlled like normal. It is also a great choice for people who enjoy action. There is never a dull moment! Finally, I recommend it for anyone who likes a romance thrown in with their action. Though Tris goes through a great ordeal, she is still a teenage girl who longs to be loved, and that comes out more than once. Divergent is an astounding book!

This book is just as good as I was told it would be. It's an awesome read!