Elsewhere by Gabrelle Zevin | Teen Ink

Elsewhere by Gabrelle Zevin

April 17, 2014
By Winona10 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Winona10 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

After Death
What happens when you die? No one knows and there is no way to find out. Some more common beliefs are that you go to heaven or you are reincarnated as someone else. Some people say that you simply just die.What if theres another way. What if you could go elsewhere? Death is such a terrifying thing, but elsewhere is an escape from death. Elsewhere is a fantastic book you could easily finish in a day or two.
It starts with a sixteen year old girl named Lizzie. Shes about to get her license and go to prom. Like every teenager she can't wait to grow up. Her life is tragically cut short when she is hit by a speeding taxi cab. She awakes on a ship with dozens of old people and a few people around her age. She is very confused and refuses to believe that shes dead until she watches her funeral on the Observation Decks.Observation decks let you see back on earth.
The ship finally stops and the captain of the SS Nile announces that they have now reached elsewhere. She steps out to a beautiful utopia and her excited strangely young grandma. Thats when she finds out that in elsewhere you age backwards. She is heartbroken she will never become seventeen, get married, graduate, or even get her license. She does not take it well. she refuses to change out of her pajamas and only leaves the house to watch people back on earth through the observation decks.
One day she meets Owen and her life changes. Owen has never really gotten over dieing either or leaving his previous wife back on earth. They are perfect for each other and fall in love. Everything is perfect until Owns wife dies on earth and comes to elsewhere.
Lizzie is a strong young female who teaches you that it is possible to overcome your struggles. Gabrelle Zevin the author puts a spin on death. This book is bittersweet but leaves you with a feel good feeling. Zevin makes you really wish there was a elsewhere.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.