The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

Sickness and heath are two lines people cross often. Some people live on the health side, crossing over to the sick once in a blue moon. Others live off the sickness. Fighting it every day, to one day get better. Yet as humans it seems that once we got an illness figure out, it come back in a whole new way.

Hazel does not remember what healthy feels like. She was at one point, but now all she remembers is being ill, and letting that illness take over her life. Hazel got diagnose with Thyroid cancer (this is a fictional type of cancer) and since then been living her life in a mist. It was no till one of her dreaded cancer group meeting she meets someone who changes her mind about life. His name is Augustus Waters, an ex-basketball player and amputee. He soon invites her to his house to watch a movie and they quickly became friends. Before they said good bye they gave each other one of their favorite book to read. For Hazel she got Price of Dawn, for Augustus, An Imperial Affliction.

They fell in love with each other’s book. With Hazel continuing on with the Price of Dawn series she and Augustus together pondered over the ending of An Imperial Affliction each holding their own unanswered questions. Augustus even went as far as to contact the writer to get answers for Hazel’s questions. As they loved and lust over the book they could not help but fall in love with each other. And when Augusts used his cancer wish to help Hazel fill her life time wish she fell for him a little more.

Throughout the book they kept saying the world is not a wish-granting factor and that it’s just that fault in their stars that brought them to their fate. And as the list at the end of the cancer support group grows longer the heart of Jesus grows thinner. We experiences people story’s not just Hazels. But Augustus, her parents, Isaac and even feel and hate Monica’s pain.

John Green is a truly amazing author. This book truly develops the pain cancer kids feel and how they struggle with it every day. His writing went straight to your heart making you feel Hazel’s pains like they were your own. With the saddest ending in the world this book leaves you with a hole in your heart and a cry to the injustice of the world. I did not truly love this book for his writing style did not seem the best. Yes he can write but I could compare his writing to one of a high school student. It is still though a great book even though my review does not show it (I tried not to say to many spoilers). Even though we know the world is not a wish-granting factory all we can hope is for something good to come from cancer.

Such a a sad book, yet it give you a true view on what it is like to live in cancer, and the points of views of others.